Scheduler to pause service between X and Y

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
dalexandre

Scheduler to pause service between X and Y

Post by dalexandre »

Hi !

First, we have at my work Syncovery 6.35 Build 162.

Our issue is that we would like to pause Syncovery between tuesday 8 PM and wednesday 8 AM.

There is a schedule integrated into Syncovery, but I'm unable to fin a way to just pause the service between some interval of time, each week.

For now, we are thinking about using Windows Scheduler to kill the service at A time via a batch file.
Later, another batch execute to start again the service.

I hope someone have an expertise with the Syncovery Scheduler, and that what we want can be done !

Thanks !

tobias

Re: Scheduler to pause service between X and Y

Post by tobias »

Hello,
first and foremost, I recommend upgrading to the latest Syncovery version, or at least to the last free update that you can get for your license. It could be at least version 6.74, or maybe even version 7.99, depending on the order date.

You can download version 6.74 here:
https://www.syncovery.com/additional-downloads/

In Syncovery 10, you could implement custom profile execution rules via PascalScript.

For older Syncovery versions, yes I think your idea about stopping and restarting the scheduler is good.

But you don't need to "kill" it. You can stop it gracefully via:

NET.EXE STOP Syncovery_Service

and start it with
NET.EXE START Syncovery_Service

Also make sure that the Syncovery Guardian Service is not running, otherwise it will immediately restart the service when you stop it.

dalexandre

Post by dalexandre »

Thanks @tobias !

Finally I used a small batch file with :

net pause "Syncovery Service"
net pause "SyncoveryVSSService"

and another with "continue" instead of pause to restart the services.

I suppose the VSS is the Gardian, reading your answer.

Thanks again ! Maybe this will help someone else.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
you can actually disable and stop the VSS service permanently, as it is not needed at all.

The VSS service is used to grant non-Admin users the ability to use Volume Shadowing to copy locked files within Syncovery.

If your jobs run under a service account, you don't need the separate VSS service.

On the other hand, the Guardian Service is probably not installed on your system. It's a separate choice in the Syncovery setup program.

dalexandre

Post by dalexandre »

The service is running under the account of someone not working here anymore... so maybe that's why the VSS was needed.

I will upgrade to v. 7.99, and try to run it under a more appropriate account, I just hope I wont have problem with file access.

Thanks again !