Nominal copy speed on 1Gb local network

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
fletch

Nominal copy speed on 1Gb local network

Post by fletch »

I set up a job to monitor a folder and copy the contents from one machine to the other on a local network. The throughput averaged 10MB/s. That seems slow. I changed the thread priority to Normal but that didn't help any.

Testing a single file: 600 Mb file took 55 seconds to copy with Syncovery while on the same machine I copied it via Total Commander in 2 seconds.

Discovered the Windows API setting, that fixed it. Just curious why that helped so much? Maybe because it was a VM copying to another machine on the network.

tobias

Re: Nominal copy speed on 1Gb local network

Post by tobias »

Hello,
I don't know what could cause that, but the Windows API copying option was added for cases like these. Maybe I need to make it the default in future Syncovery versions.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
it seems that a possible cause has been found and I will release an update soon.

tobias

Post by tobias »

The new Syncovery 9.26d fixes an issue that may have caused progress reporting to slow down the transfers in some cases.

fletch

Post by fletch »

FYI - didn't help in this specific example. But I changed things up a bit. Moved the copying outside of the VM onto the host - which pulls from the VM. That helped but the throughput was spotty, not smooth. Switching back to Windows API gave me a consistent smooth flow of data over the network. These are large files so I changed it to copy 1 at a time instead of the default of 3.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
thanks for the info. I think the solution is fine. In general when there are performance issues or even hangs, you can get an Activity Report, which helps me diagnose the issues. It can be retrieved via F2 for jobs that run in the foreground (attended or unattended mode), or by right-clicking a background job in the profile overview and choosing "Diagnose Activity".

tiagocoelho2

Post by tiagocoelho2 »

Hi.

I also had this problem, I sent the complete logs to Tobias and after several tests we detected that it is the buffer size. In the Program Settings / Advanced menu => check Biffer size for copying files to 1024 kB.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Thanks, in the next Syncovery version the minimum will automatically be 512 kB to avoid this problem.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
a bug has been identified that could cause Syncovery to reset some global program settings to 0 or 1, causing slow copying and no logging.

The new version 9.28a should fix this automatically, but if you are in doubt, please refer to the following screenshots for the reasonable default settings:
Snap82.png
Snap82.png (59.49 KiB) Viewed 6633 times
Snap83.png
Snap83.png (40.07 KiB) Viewed 6633 times
Snap84.png
Snap84.png (36.38 KiB) Viewed 6633 times
Snap85.png
Snap85.png (50.83 KiB) Viewed 6633 times

tiagocoelho2

Post by tiagocoelho2 »

Thank you for your help. This bug was difficult to detect.