Can I put older and deleted files in the same backup folder but add deleted string to deleted files?

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
IMTheNachoMan

Can I put older and deleted files in the same backup folder but add deleted string to deleted files?

Post by IMTheNachoMan »

I am using Syncovery to backup data to B2.

I want modified and deleted files to go to a different folder in B2.

I want them to go to the same folder but I want deleted files to have `.deleted.` added before the file extension. Is this possible?

This way, all the files are in one folder and I can easily see what file was deleted.

tobias

Re: Can I put older and deleted files in the same backup folder but add deleted string to deleted files?

Post by tobias »

I wouldn't recommend it. The Restore Wizard is able to pick the correct versions from the versioning folder, and deleted files from the folder for deleted files.

Filenames for deleted files are encoded with an extra tag the represents the time the deletion was detected, so that when Restoring, Syncovery knows which file existed at the chosen target date.

Syncovery can't add ".deleted" to deleted files.

It's really better to use the software as it was designed and not try to twist it in this area.

IMTheNachoMan

Re: Can I put older and deleted files in the same backup folder but add deleted string to deleted files?

Post by IMTheNachoMan »

I see. I guess that makes sense.

What is the format of the extra tag for the deleted files?

When I do a restore, is it possible to use the profile history to say I want to restore all files that were deleted during the profile run on XYZ day?

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
the encoded deletion timestamp is very short and not human readable because all available characters are used (numbers and letters). For example:
test.x1oyVl58.pdf

Yes, you can restore only the files that were deleted on one day. To do that, choose "Restore file versions from an earlier date and time" in the Restore Wizard (on the Filters tab sheet). Specify a date and time that was just before the profile run.

On the last tab sheet in the Restore Wizard, choose "Auto-Select All Appropriate Files" and "Do not replace any files".

On the Sync Preview change the top left choice to "Affected" so you see only the files which will be restored.

Then you can double-check if you really want these and run the restore.