Remote Service / "Gave up waiting for checksum file"

English Support for Syncovery on Linux etc.
vance

Remote Service / "Gave up waiting for checksum file"

Post by vance »

I have a profile in which Syncovery backs up a local source, over wifi, to destination drives attached to another machine via USB. I'm using block-level copying, with the remote service running on the destination machine.

Sometimes this works well. But sometimes I have large files skipped because (per the log) it "gave up waiting for checksum file". Typically this is after a long run of log entries of "Still working at (timestamp)", so initially I thought this was essentially saying "the checksum calculation is taking too long". But I've also had it happen only 20 seconds into a file's backup, which seems to suggests this is more like "the service isn't responding." ?

Is there anything I can do about this? A backup plan (pun unintended!) is to go back to database checksums, but I like that daily checksum calculation is more robust.

tobias

Re: Remote Service / "Gave up waiting for checksum file"

Post by tobias »

Hello,
is the destination machine also running Linux?

Could you send two log files, one working and one not working to support@syncovery.com?

vance

Post by vance »

OK, just sent.

Yes, both are Linux. Same version of Syncovery.

vance

Post by vance »

Is there any word on this? The problem seemed to go away for awhile, but it comes back sometimes.

Last night's backup was a mix, some failed, some succeeded. One of them gave up after only two minutes:

Still Working At 10/21/2021 03:42:15
Still Working At 10/21/2021 03:42:45
Still Working At 10/21/2021 03:43:15
Still Working At 10/21/2021 03:43:45
Still Working At 10/21/2021 03:44:15
Still Working At 10/21/2021 03:44:45
03:45:10 Gave up waiting for checksum file: /path/to/Win10/Win10.vdi
Not copying Win10.vdi (remote MD5 checksums not found)

I'm not completely sure the following is errant behavior, but it might be related. It seems to not be deleting *.SyncoveryMD5 files on the destination. I think one time the log actually warned me that it wasn't able to delete these files. But I see these files there now (after backup completion) despite the lack of a warning -- one for every large target file that used the service. Both the ones that were successful and the ones for which it gave up.

Let me know if I can contribute more logs or debug.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hi,
thanks for the additional info. Do you think the problem could be that sometimes it just doesn't wait long enough? I will check the logic and improve it in the next update.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
I had an idea, if you are using a non-default copying order, this could happen. Can you check the copying order under "Special" in the profile?

Can you send a complete log file to support@syncovery.com?