Backup Outlook live PST from QNAP

English Support for Syncovery on Linux etc.
pbouvier

Backup Outlook live PST from QNAP

Post by pbouvier »

Hi

I'm looking for step-by-step instructions on how to backup live Outlook PST files from a remote Windows client onto a QNAP hosted Syncovery system.

I'm struggling :oops: I've installed the remote services program on the Windows box and configured it to point to the folder where all the PST files are. On the Syncovery side, I am able to connect to the client via SMB on the left and have a local folder set on the right. I've tried a combination of every option under Special /Special Features to no avail. In the logs, I keep getting errors like these:

Not using partial file updating for Mail - IT.pst (destination file does not exist)
16:21:58.231 IP Exception (5): ESMBException Error reading from Mail - IT.pst @ 0000000001163F6C, CP:CorEX5:Error reading from Mail - IT.pst
16:21:59.235 IP Exception (5): ESMBException Error reading from Mail - IT.pst @ 0000000001163F6C, CP:CorEX5:Error reading from Mail - IT.pst
16:22:01.245 IP Exception (5): ESMBException Error reading from Mail - IT.pst @ 0000000001163F6C, CP:CorEX5:Error reading from Mail - IT.pst
Exception Error reading from Mail - IT.pst at 0000000001163F6C.
Filename: smb://pixie/C$/Users/mrphilix.ZBOUV/Documents/Outlook Files/Mail - IT.pst
Checkpoints: TGGetOrPutEX:Error reading from Mail - IT.pst
Incomplete file deleted from destination: /share/Backups/Outlook-Test/Mail - IT.pst

Thanks,
Phil

tobias

Re: Backup Outlook live PST from QNAP

Post by tobias »

Hello,
for this purpose you must use the Windows version of Syncovery and run it on the machine where the pst file is stored.

That’s the only way to use Volume Shadowing to access locked files.

tobias

Re: Backup Outlook live PST from QNAP

Post by tobias »

Hello,
to give you some additional information: the Syncovery Remote Service can perform a few auxiliary tasks, but it cannot provide access to locked files.

It can generate checksums, create fast listings, and unzip files.

But copying locked Outlook PST files really requires the use of the Volume Shadowing Service on Windows, and that can only be done locally by the main Syncovery app.

So, please consider installing Syncovery on the Windows machine and pushing the data to the QNAP, rather than pulling it.

Yes this may in the end require ordering more licenses, if you want to back up several systems. But there is no other way really.