Restore Wizard

English Support for Syncovery on Linux etc.
Nei

Restore Wizard

Post by Nei »

Hi there,
in the Linux Version I can not find the "Restore Wizard" I find in the Windows version within the context menu.
Perhaps someone can guide me to this functionality in the Linux version. If it is not implemented in the Linux version are there any plans to to so?

tobias

Re: Restore Wizard

Post by tobias »

Hello,
the only purpose of the Restore wizard is to duplicate a profile and reverse the copying direction. Because that can be done with other commands, it will not be added to the Linux version.

All other settings in the Restore Wizard are just duplicates of standard profile settings, which you will find when editing a profile.

Chad

Post by Chad »

The restoration process has me a little perplexed.
e.g. I want to restore a particular folder of all files from before 2 days ago.

In the profile, I see that there is a filter for 'file age', and this is fine.
But how does Syncovery deal with all the renamed version files? How do I get a folder state based on a given date, with files that are all named with their original filename?
This is what I am struggling to understand.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
to specify a date and time from the past that you want to restore, use the "Target Date for Restore" option on the "File age and size" tab sheet.

This will automatically choose the correct version of each file according to the restore target date.

However, Syncovery does not save any information about when a file was deleted or renamed in the backup. Therefore, a 100% point in time restore of a previous state is not possible (yet) with Syncovery, in terms of deleted or renamed files.

I will implement this feature ASAP.

plucente

Post by plucente »

Is there a setting that enables you to execute a restore that retains all the original file AND folder modification timestamps? I am unable to make that work, here is what happens:

1. For my backups, I have Syncovery tag the file names with the modification timestamps for versioning (i.e. the backup object for original item filename.txt becomes filename.d20161016-u140511.txt for a file last modified 2016-100-16, 14:05:11 for example)
2. Properties of the actual backup object show a last modified date that matches the date it was first backed up (2020-08-14 8:13:34 AM)
3. On restore, the restored object shows a mod date that matches #2
4. Additionally, the restored object is not the original file name (filename.txt) but instead the timestamp-tagged name (filename.d20161016-u140511.txt).

What I expect is that the restored object will be IDENTICAL to the originally backedup item:
Object name: filename.txt
Object mod timestamp: 2016-100-16, 14:05:11

Is this possible? I recall that the Windows version seems to be able to do this.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
when Filename Encoding is used during backup, then to restore, you just need to copy from right to left to get the original file names and timestamps.

Folder timestamps are not supported by all types of cloud storage (not by Amazon S3, Azure, B2 etc).

If you have a backup storage that does support folder timestamps, you need to also choose "Folder timestamps" under Comparison->More in the profile (for both backup and restore profiles).

plucente

Post by plucente »

Thanks Tobias, just to clarify are you saying that you should use the existing profile, then just temporarily modify it to point from right to left, and deselect all but the files you wish to restore, then change it all back afterward?

If I modify my profile to add folder timestamps using the Comparison menu setting, how does that impact existing folders that were written with the timestamp tags?

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
yes, use the existing profile and change the copying direction etc. I would also change the name, for example add "(restore)" at the end and remove any scheduling. That way you get a restore profile that you can use whenever you need it. Changing the name will result in having two profiles.

Existing folder timestamps will be updated too, if the storage supports it.