Synology to Synology copy task fails to connect

English Support for Syncovery on Linux etc.
ChaosX

Synology to Synology copy task fails to connect

Post by ChaosX »

Setting a simple task to copy files between Synology units on the same LAN. The destination throws connection errors when I attempt to choose the destination folder. I tried SMB and get:

ERROR: Connection problem: smb://192.168.1.12: Cannot access smb://192.168.1.12
(Samba Open Directory Error Codes 4358248/0 for smb://192.168.1.12at 0000000000FD9D0D)

Out of curiosity I tried SFTP and I could pick the destination folder, but when I went to save the task, the error window was quite lenghty.

I'd prefer not to use SSH though.

These units already "speak" to one another via rsync, and I can connect to both via PC (SMB), so I'm unsure why this fails.

I'm using v9.38a on DSM 6.2

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Thank you!

ChaosX

Re: Synology to Synology copy task fails to connect

Post by ChaosX »

In the meantime, I mounted NAS B to NAS A for a simple copy... but I'm getting only 8MB/s on a 1GB circuit.

Hoping there is a solution.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
mounting the other NAS using the Synology DSM interface is the best option and will produce the fastest copying. You then need to point Syncovery to the local mount path and not use smb in Syncovery at all.

To increase bandwidth, you can play with the number of files being copied in parallel. The option is on the Files tab sheet. If you have a lot of smaller files, you can increase the number. If you copy big files, sometimes 1 in parallel is best.

ChaosX

Post by ChaosX »

I'm not keen on the mount (this is a backup copy with versioning).

That said, after switching the mount from CIFS to NFS, the transfer rate hasn't improved.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Please cancel it and send a complete log file to support.

Also send complete log files from the attempts where you used SMB inside Syncovery.

Actually, the SMB error might be due to an incomplete UNC path.

The full path must be:

smb://192.168.1.12/Sharename
or
smb://192.168.1.12/Sharename/Foldername

ChaosX

Post by ChaosX »

As I've dug deeper on this, I am thinking this is a network card issue. It is reporting that its "partner" (my router?) is declaring only 100Mbps (half-duplex). I suspect that the NAS Ethernet card is failing to "handshake" with the router, and then drops to the lowest connection possible.

If I can't resolve this by the end of the week, I will likely replace the NAS (a 213j) with a 14 TB USB drive for backups.

Thanks for your help.