QNAP version, program settings export/import

English Support for Syncovery on Linux etc.
a.devecerski

QNAP version, program settings export/import

Post by a.devecerski »

Hi all

Long time user of Syncovery, Windows version, recently started testing it on our 3 QNAP NAS machines. So I apologize up front if I'm asking something obvious.
I'm trying to find Program settings import. Using 'Program Settings' -> 'Prefs' -> 'Download Config File' I can export configuration, as a binary CFG file. And import seems to be possible only from INI style (text) file, using the button 'Import Config Lines (INI style)'.

Is it possible to import CFG configuration directly?
Or, at least, somehow convert CFG to INI required for import? Or, maybe, directly export INI configuration?
Thank you

Regards

tobias

Re: QNAP version, program settings export/import

Post by tobias »

Hello,
you can import profiles by right-clicking in the profile area.

Please do not import any profiles from Windows. This can cause problems, because the Linux version is very different.

a.devecerski

Post by a.devecerski »

Hello Tobias

Yes, I know about profile export/import (did not know that Win/Linux profiles are different, though. Thanks for the info)
My question was about program settings. As we are still testing this there is quite a lot of app installs/uninstalls and at every install licence has to be entered, date/time, time zone, global exclusions, email settings,...

Is it possible to import (previously exported) Syncovery-??.??.2022-??.??.??.cfg and get all that done quickly (and not forget anything)?

Thank you

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
the Import feature is only for profiles.

To replace the complete config file, you need to first take note of the exact Linux path of Syncovery.cfg. You can see it on the first tab sheet of the Program Settings dialog.

Then stop Syncovery (for example, right-click and choose "Terminate Process"). Make sure the Syncovery Guardian is not running (port 8900), because it would re-start Syncovery very quickly.

Then replace the Syncovery.cfg file with your backup, using a file manager or SFTP client, and start Syncovery again.

a.devecerski

Post by a.devecerski »

I was hoping to avoid that.
As these are NAS devices they operate with GUI only (at least for us not really knowledgeable in Linux). This could be done by SSH and replacing CFG, as you advised, but that is not very user friendly process.
Would it be possible to ask for this feature (program settings import) in the future versions?
Program settings have so many options (please don't take this wrong, that's a good thing) and it is easy to forget something.
Thank you for the quick response Tobias

Regards

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
yes, OK, I will add it. It's technically possible.

a.devecerski

Post by a.devecerski »

Great
Thank you very much Tobias

Regards