Remote Service is slow

English Support for Syncovery on Linux etc.
dmzz

Remote Service is slow

Post by dmzz »

Hello,

I am using Remote Service on my Synology NAS DS1621+ with RAID10 of 4 drives. Average read/write speeds are 300-400 Mb/s. I'm using block-level copying for syncing one 21Gb file between my NAS and laptop.
When the laptop is waiting for Remote Service to create MD5 checksums of a NAS side, I see that it uses just a tiny part of NAS resources.
The disk reading speed is near 72 Mb/s, and it uses just 13% of the CPU (please see the screenshot).
Is there any way to set Remote Service using more system resources and, as a result, finish building MD5 checksums faster?
I am also using Synctching on my NAS and scan this file much faster, and disk read speeds are over 300 Mb/s.
I believe it is possible for Syncovery Remote Serviceaccess disk of a similar speed.

Thank you.
Attachments
2022-01-16-Syncovery-RS-NAS-resources.jpg
2022-01-16-Syncovery-RS-NAS-resources.jpg (436.2 KiB) Viewed 6040 times

tobias

Re: Remote Service is slow

Post by tobias »

Hello,
it has to calculate MD5 checksums, and that just isn't any faster. The rate is actually very good for MD5 calculation.

If your Syncovery job uploads to the NAS, you can avoid this by removing the checkmark "Right side uses Remote Service".

If you are downloading from the NAS, and you want block level copying, then you just need to live with the speed.

dmzz

Post by dmzz »

Thank you for the explanation.

dmzz

Post by dmzz »

BTW, it would be great to set Remote Service to scan file changes and create MD5 checksums automatically in the scanned folder.
This will avoid waiting during syncing with the remote side.
What do you think?

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
it would be hard to know when the checksums should be calculated exactly. Surely not every small change should trigger an immediate re-calculation of all checksums on a large file. Maybe it would be better to be able to schedule checksum calculation? Do you have fixed times of day where this should happen?

dmzz

Post by dmzz »

Hello,

Sure, schedule would work great too. Is there is a way to schedule checksum calculations for the Remote Service?

tobias

Post by tobias »

No, this is just something I could add.

dmzz

Post by dmzz »

That would be great, thank you!