remote service seems to have no access

English Support for Syncovery on Linux etc.
patanne

remote service seems to have no access

Post by patanne »

I have an issue that appears to be SyncoveryRS file listing process/service not having access to folders.

I have a job using the Windows product that backs up remotely to a Linux server. It has run successfully for years. It is ideal for remote service file listing as there are hundreds of thousands of files where maybe only 10-100 change on any day. Without using remote services all has been going well.

Yesterday I tried the remote service on the Linux side and am now getting the message, "The system cannot find the path specified" for all subfolders of the backup destination. See below. Since I make no mention of the subfolders in the remote service (v 9.03 b4) configuration it should indicate I have configured the remote service properly, or the subfolders would not be mentioned.

Is there a particular user the SyncoveryRS process runs under, which would explain what appears to be access denial? Using the 'top' tool, it appears to run as root, which would then make no sense. Root has access to everything, especially given root is the owner of all the subfolders in question. Let's please not get into a religious debate over the use of root. I normally test things with highest access before setting a more secure configuration, to isolate whether an issue is configuration-based or access-based.

It should be noted that there are strict ACL's on the folders on the Linux server, but again root should have access. Also I only have SyncoveryRS for Linux installed on the remote machine, not the Syncovery product for Linux. I'm not sure if that matters.

2021-03-10_09-41-14.png
2021-03-10_09-41-14.png (172.63 KiB) Viewed 4808 times

tobias

Re: remote service seems to have no access

Post by tobias »

Hello,
it looks like the Syncovery version is too old to work with a Linux remote service, because of the slash/backslash difference.

Only recent Syncovery versions can handle that. This is probably a good opportunity to check our new web site under www.syncovery.com and order an upgrade :P

Cheers,
Tobias

patanne

Re: remote service seems to have no access

Post by patanne »

That was the issue. Once I upgraded – long overdue – everything fell into place.

Thank you.