Linux features questions

English Support for Syncovery on Linux etc.
ALa

Linux features questions

Post by ALa »

First of all hi, I'm a long term user (v.3.4!) and since then totally enthusiastic about the product.
(I've been using it to backup my files to external HDs. Which is obviously total overkill, but I create huge lots of files, and then I like good, solid tools.)

It just had one weak point, it wouldn't recognize telephones and tablets (MTP). Now I see this has been implemented (although unfortunately not in the "Standard" edition, which is actually more than enough for my very basic backup use... Oh well, it's true that good work merits pay.)

Now the thing is that a couple years ago I've switched to Linux, and since then had been using the (free) v.5.71 Linux version, which doesn't do MTP either, so I'm considering upgrading, to get that MTP support at last. Sifting through the website I have two questions:
  1. I can't find a price quote for the Linux version, it it still free? If this is the case, I assume it hasn't the various "Editions" separation the Windows version has. Does the current Linux version do MTP at all?
  2. It apparently now installs a web server, something I definitely don't want running on my laptop! :shock:
    Is this web server thing inevitable? Am I condemned to forgo MTP support?...
Thanks for your time and keep up the good work!

tobias

Re: Linux features questions

Post by tobias »

Hello,
thanks for your email!

The current Linux version isn't free like the old tool. The GUI is web browser based, do it has an internal web server. But that's not like running a web server on your laptop. It's just that the SyncoveryCL process provides a port over which you can reach the web GUI (8889 by default).

But MTP is on Windows only, unfortunately. On Linux, you would have to find some way to mount the phone to the local file system.

When you go to our ordering pages, you will be asked for the platform (Windows/Mac/Linux), and they all have the same editions. The features are 95% identical across platforms, but each platform also has its specifics (like MTP only on Windows).

ALa

Post by ALa »

Thank you for your quick reply!

tobias wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:58 pm
The current Linux version isn't free like the old tool.
I though so, since it seems to be a full product now.
Yet there is no mention of "Linux" in the price list, you might want to look into that.
Also a Windows + Linux combo would be nice, much like the Windows + Mac one... Just saying.

tobias wrote:
it has an internal web server
That's still a security risk I'm hesitant to take. Yes, I guess could tinker with the firewall to limit access, but this is a personal laptop used in many different situations and by several, more or less careful users... :roll:

I understand this is a professional product more likely to be used on headless servers on corporate networks where web access makes sense, and the Linux desktop is a definitely tiny market anyway, but isn't there a way you could one day bring back a local GUI like v.5.71 had? As an option? (Note I'm no programmer, so I'm sorry if this sent you rolling on the floor laughing...)

tobias wrote:
But MTP is on Windows only
:o Oh damn. I only wanted to upgrade to get MTP support...
Without it I have no real reason to upgrade, the old v.5.71 freeware covers literally 300% of my actual needs, the only thing missing is being able to work with my phones and tablets. Even my (even older) v.3.x on my old WinXP computer was way more capable than I ever needed...

I'll have to think.
Thank you for your time and your excellent work.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hi,
yes it's mostly for headless servers and NAS systems, but we do have a few private desktop users.

Maybe I can create a pure desktop version one day, but it is a whole different project.

ALa

Post by ALa »

tobias wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:33 pm
Maybe I can create a pure desktop version one day
Great! :D
Looking forward to it!

(With MTP support, pretty pretty please!...)

ALa

Post by ALa »

Me again.
I was thinking about the desktop version. Actually the private desktop user doesn't need most of the existing "pro" features, so a "Desktop" version could indeed be quite simple, a little cheaper, without competing with the more expensive professional versions. You wouldn't even need to make new versions of it, what worked 10 years ago still works just fine today, and is likely to still do so in 10 years.

What I'm saying is, I would definitely pay money for the old v.5.71 with MTP support. You can even remove the Scheduler (making backups requires to connect the external HD anyway, so there is no point in scheduling anything).
20€ would seem a good price for a single machine license (Pro being at 29.33€), and you could add a 30€ 2-machines license (a private user is unlikely to need more, unless (s)he has a harem... :roll:).

If you still have the source code for 5.71 on some old backup, all you have to do is to add MTP support to it and voilà: Linux desktop version... :mrgreen: