Synology DSM7 Support

English Support for Syncovery on Linux etc.
tobias

Re: Synology DSM7 Support

Post by tobias »

Hello,
new Syncovery versions will be released for both DSM 6 and 7 for many years.

John7

Post by John7 »

Sorry my errer when trying to reply using a phone. I wasn't meaning support for 6 and 7 but using SyncoveryLinuxInstaller to do the update. I think it just is to update version 7 but am not sure if it would updat 6?

John7

Post by John7 »

Closed the SSH down as had atcks blocked by SynoNAS this evening, form
209.141.61.58 and 171.235.81.236. Some how I clearly have top set it up to only work from my PC and no other address. For now I thing manual updates on the NAS is safer.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
yes, the SSH port should never be open to the Internet. You should only access it from a LAN or VPN.

If you aren't in the same LAN or VPN, you need to disable SSH immediately after using it.

Yes the Linux Installer can be used with DSM 6 and 7.

John7

Post by John7 »

Closed it down but am getting lots of attacks still clearly wasn't a good
move trying this. Looking into how to lock it down to block these but don't understand why I wasn't geting them with how it was setup befor, set it up for SSH, turn that off after atcks but still getting them with the same setup as befor SSH enabled.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hi,
hackers constantly try to log in to port 22 on all possible public IP addresses worldwide.

But these attempts usually end up in the void because your Internet router does not have a port 22 open.

Can you explain a bit more about your setup?

How can attackers possibly reach a Synology Box that is in a LAN? How is it connected to the Internet?

Did you set up port forwarding in your router so that requests from outside are forwarded to the Synlogy NAS?

Where do you see the attacks? What tool?

I think you must be confusing something.

John7

Post by John7 »

It was the NAS reporting attepts and was locking the address after 5 failed logons. My son has been throgh it all and locked it down better, it was odd as he used Synologhy to my NAS using SFTP on port 22 but in the firewall the only address given access rights is his PC address. We had no mproblems untill I opened up SSH access in the Synology DSM Control Panel. When the problems started, when I closed that down they kept comming. Since his SFTP has been closed down its stoped them. The SFTP was open all the time I have had the NAS, nearly a year now and never had this befor. We will have to work out a new way for him to back up to me, but luckally his server has no problems with the same setup for me backing up to him.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hi,
usually you just choose a different port, not 22 but something more obscure like 12634. You won't be getting many attacks on a port number like that.

Still, the password needs to be really good.

John7

Post by John7 »

Been away, tried that and had attacks with in a short time. We wiull have to find a diffrent was so have close it again.

HankStarr

Post by HankStarr »

Hi...I utilize the objective NAS as an archive focus with explicit conventions open. I don't actually need CIFS/NFS arrangement. It functions admirably prior to refreshing the objective NAS to DSM 7. I guess my main decision is to endure it. There is a lot of information on the NAS to attempt to get it back to 6.2