Synology NAS DS1821+ Can't Delete Profiles

English Support for Syncovery on Linux etc.
SyncoveryLG

Synology NAS DS1821+ Can't Delete Profiles

Post by SyncoveryLG »

I've setup quite a number of profiles to do various tasks but I can't delete a single one of them. I even went as far as to export all of the profiles, then deleting the databases and logs, then trying to delete the profiles again. They just won't delete.

I also can't edit them. Even a simple profile name change doesn't save.

How can I rebuild/delete whatever database the profiles are stored in?

Should I just do a full uninstall / reinstall?

tobias

Re: Synology NAS DS1821+ Can't Delete Profiles

Post by tobias »

Hi,
it's possible that you can't delete all profiles because Syncovery will then restore them from a backup (if all profiles are gone). But that's probably not the issue here.

You could make a backup copy of Syncovery.cfg before reinstalling. The full path is shown on the Program Settings dialog. You can then import the profiles from that file later on.

Maybe just updating Syncovery would help? Do you have the latest Syncovery 9.48?

If you decide to uninstall, please make sure that the folder containing Syncovery.cfg and various backup folders is really gone before reinstalling.

Has the system been upgraded to DSM 7? Maybe something went wrong there.

It could also be a simple HTML/Javascript issue with the web interface. You could check the Console tab of the debugging tools in your browser to check for errors. Hit F12 to open the debugging tools in Chrome or Edge.

SyncoveryLG

Post by SyncoveryLG »

OK. I updated from 9.47x to 9.48k and did a simple edit of a profile to add a "2" on the end of the name. That resulted in two profiles. The original one and a duplicate with the "2" on the end. I did it again with "3" and now I have 3 profiles. And so on.
I was able to delete those additional profiles :-)
I made a non-profile-name change to the original profile and that saved ok.
I made another non-profile-name change to the original profile and that also saved ok.

It appears the simple upgrade fixed the issue! Thx!

The behaviour of creating a new profile for every profile name change is odd, however. Perhaps that is functioning as expected?

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
yes, it is intended to be able to edit a job and get a duplicate that way.

On Windows, Syncovery asks if you want to keep the old one, but on Linux, it just keeps it. Maybe I will add a prompt one day.

SyncoveryLG

Post by SyncoveryLG »

k. It's not a problem getting the duplicate profile now that I know it is expected behavior.

I think my original problem was "fixed" with the upgrade because I had my DB and LOG directories set to:

LOGS: /volume1/NAS1/Syncovery/Logs
DB: /volume1/NAS1/Syncovery/Databases

but it appears the update put them back to:

LOGS: /volume1/@appdata/Syncovery/Logs
DB: /volume1/@appdata/Syncovery/Database

Perhaps those are settings that are not being preserved during an upgrade, or should I look for a different cause of the paths being reset?

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
hmm, it could be that the installer resets the paths every time, sorry for that. I will check if this can be improved.

SyncoveryLG

Post by SyncoveryLG »

Unfortunately, even with leaving the paths to the defaults that go to @appdata, the original problem of not being able to add or edit profiles has returned :-( Something else is amiss.

The existing profiles do seem to run ok. There are two that I have disabled that I cannot enable. I even tried making a simple title change to see if a copy of the profile was created and that did not happen, either :-(

SyncoveryLG

Post by SyncoveryLG »

NAS reboot seems to take care of the editing issue. I think the cause may be very long running profiles (on the order of days). At some point I can't even login to the Syncovery console. This last time it even said that my username/password was incorrect, although all other services on the NAS seemed to be operating normally. I rebooted the NAS and that same username/password then let me in again, and I was able to enable profiles, etc.

SyncoveryLG

Post by SyncoveryLG »

One more observation that may shed light on this issue.

I was editing quite a few profiles with no issues at all.

Then I wanted to create a new profile based on an existing one so I opened the existing profile, changed the title, and saved it. The original profile remained untouched, as expected, and the new profile was created as expected.

I repeated the process with a different profile and the new profile was not created. From that point forward I was no longer able to edit any exising profiles. Of note, at that time, the scheduler had fired off an unrelated profile.

It's possible that after making one edit/create that I then need to reboot the NAS to do another one, or that I can't make edits while a profile is being run by the scheduler. I'll come up with some testing to try both scenarios and see if I can narrow it down to one of the two.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
thanks all the details!

Usually none of these problems should occur, and you can edit profiles while the scheduler is running jobs.

But maybe there is some special dependency on your system which I am not aware of. If you can confirm that running jobs prevent the GUI from working correctly, that would be an interesting hint.

There's a log file that might shed some light on the issues. It's called Syncovery.cfg-log.txt and it's in the same folder as Syncovery.cfg, which is usually:
/volume1/@appdata/Syncovery/

Maybe you could send it to support@syncovery.com. The exact location of Syncovery.cfg is shown on the Program Settings dialog.

To get it, you could create a Syncovery profile that copies this file to a folder on one of your normal folders, for example from
/volume1/@appdata/Syncovery/
to
/volume1/MainData/SyncoveryAppData