PCloud: Invalid files

English Support for Cloud Storage
mareike1988

Re: PCloud: Invalid files

Post by mareike1988 »

Got it. After the bugfix I will still reupload everything with the same setup to see if this was the problem.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
I have been working on improving verification for PCloud.

I found that the most important fix for this issue is already available in the Syncovery version that you have.

You just need to choose the checkmark "Automatically resume (copy with temporary filenames, keep incomplete files when stopped)" on the tab sheet "Files" in the profile.

This will prevent incomplete uploads from being mistaken for real files, because they have an additional temporary filename extension.

On subsequent runs, Syncovery will recognize the incomplete files and replace them with complete uploads. It doesn't actually support resuming with PCloud yet.

mareike1988

Post by mareike1988 »

I tried that option but found it not resuming indeed . I will test it.

I think making these settings optional is a little dangerous. Users can’t have that knowledge. What about making that a hard coded setting?

Are there any other parameters I should care more about?

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
yes, I will enforce it in the next update.

If you combine this with "Verify copied files", then you are very safe. Files will be uploaded with interim filename, then verified, and only renamed to the final filename if the verification step passes.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
upon further testing, I think that the function "Test Backup Integrity" is the most efficient way to verify your backup and automatically delete and re-upload any invalid files.

mareike1988

Post by mareike1988 »

Yes but it is not feasible to do that after every sync.

Are you saying that the resume option + verify copied files is not 100%?

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hi,
you would only need to do this once for your old backup.

In the future, you won't have to do that because the resume (interim filenames) checkmark with "verify copied files" is 100% safe.

mareike1988

Post by mareike1988 »

Yep thanks got it

tobias

Post by tobias »

The new version 10.1.0 now always uses temporary filenames for uploading to PCloud.

I have also implemented improvements to the Binary Comparison during the folder scanning phase, but "Test Integrity" is actually more efficient and faster for this purpose.

mareike1988

Post by mareike1988 »

tobias wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:24 am
The new version 10.1.0 now always uses temporary filenames for uploading to PCloud.

I have also implemented improvements to the Binary Comparison during the folder scanning phase, but "Test Integrity" is actually more efficient and faster for this purpose.
Not sure I understand.
Test Integrity with which settings is more efficient/faster but still reliable?