Syncovery deleting and re-synching some files to PCloud

English Support for Cloud Storage
PaoloNB

Syncovery deleting and re-synching some files to PCloud

Post by PaoloNB »

Hello

I am trying to synch some files to pcloud, using Syncovery's zip encryption feature (I might need to download some files on my phone, so I cannot use .sz).

The thing is, every time I launch the profile, syncovery detects it needs to delete many files (up to 15000), just to re-upload them. These files have not been modified and I don't know why this happens.

If I delete everything from pcloud and upload using the profile everything is fine but, as soon as I re-run it, some files are chosen to be deleted and uploaded again.

This is how it looks in syncovery (note both files have the same attributes):

This is what pcloud looks like:

This happens ignoring time differences or not, binary comparison or not, and the option to add timestamps to filenames in 'versioning' menu is disabled (but I guess syncovery adds them for its own purposes)

Could it be related to the fact that I need to cancel and re-run the profile sometimes because I am moving to other places?

Thanks for your time!

tobias

Re: Syncovery deleting and re-synching some files to PCloud

Post by tobias »

Hello,
the reason is that these have filename encodings created by another Syncovery profile, such as .d20190916-u013131. This is an encoded timestamp.

Such encoded names are only supposed to occur on the right-hand side of a Syncovery job. Never on the left.

If they occur on the left-hand side too, you need to go to Versioning->More and choose
X Do Not Decode Left-Hand Filenames When Building The File List
X Do Not Decode Right-Hand Filenames When Building The File List

The second one is not chosen by default. You need both.

Plus you cannot use any kind of versioning, compression, or encryption on these kinds of files, because these features would add another level of filename encoding, and multiple encoding levels are not supported.

PaoloNB

Re: Syncovery deleting and re-synching some files to PCloud

Post by PaoloNB »

I renamed the files on the left side and the problem is now gone. Apparently those folders were on the right side on a previous job.

Thank you for your help