"Regularly poll Internet servers for changes" not working

English Support for Cloud Storage
mwang

"Regularly poll Internet servers for changes" not working

Post by mwang »

Hi,

I've been trying to make real-time two-way sync between Google Drive (GSuite account) and my Mac (Catalina 10.15.7) working. Monitoring local directories seems to be working fine, but monitoring remote servers never works, no matter how I tinker the settings on the "Schedule" - "Monitoring / Real-Time Sync" tab. Syncovery simply never sees any changes done on the server.

I'm using Syncovery v.9.21. Please help. Thanks!

tobias

Re: "Regularly poll Internet servers for changes" not working

Post by tobias »

Thanks, I will test this once more and see if I can find anything.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
it seems I found a bug where items in subfolders aren't detected in real-time. I am working on it.

mwang

Post by mwang »

Great. Thanks! But in my tests, even changes to files in the sync root were not picked up.

When investigating the issue, I created a folder with only a handful of files and no subfolder on both sides just for testing. I got the same results: Changes to local files (either in the small testing folder or my regular large directory trees) are picked up by Syncovery, but not changes on Google Drive.

Just for your information, though.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
can you switch to the Scheduler tab sheet and make sure the scheduler is running?

Do you see the "Next check:" countdown in seconds?

tobias

Post by tobias »

It seems that the Mac version doesn't do the regular checks with countdown any more. I will fix it in today's update.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
Syncovery 9.23 has now been released, and it should fix the problem. When you look at the Scheduler tab sheet, you will see the countdown before the next check, which should help in testing because you can see when to expect new files to be downloaded. The download occurs as a separate profile run a few seconds after the check has detected changes.

mwang

Post by mwang »

Thanks for the quick fix.

Good news first: monitoring Google Drive is working on my small single-layer test folder now, with one small anomaly: both the "Last Result" column on the "Profile Overview" tab sheet and the "Last Run / Status" column on the Scheduler tab sheet now say: "1 copied (138.2kB)", despite the fact the last action taken was deleting a file locally.

Because I'm checking only remote monitoring this time, all changes were done remotely on Google Drive. Syncovery did see all the changes made and promptly (per specified schedule) made the same changes locally. I did copied a 138.2 KB file into the test folder a few hours ago, but have since made several other changes, including deleting that specific file.

Syncovery would report the correct last action result for a small while, then revert back to "1 copied (138.2kB)". In addition, both the "Last Run" column on the "Profile Overview" tab sheet and the "Last Run / Status" column on the Scheduler tab sheet reports "2020-12-05 18:42:05" for the time of the last action, which is the time for the "copy" action indeed. (A few min. ago, the "Last Run" column on the "Profile Overview" tab sheet was showing the correct time for the true last action, but wrong action result.)

Weird, but harmless.

Now the bad news: remote monitoring is still not working for my regular (large) directories; it doesn't even see a new file added to the root of one monitored tree. On the Scheduler tab sheet, "Next Check" is indeed counting down. When the number reaches 0, it says something briefly in "Last Run / Status" (too fast for me to catch the words) and then back to "2020-12-06 00:46:55 / Nothing to do", though current time is 01:44, and there have been numerous "nothing to do" results since 00:46.

Wait a moment, "Last Run / Status" has just updated its timestamp to 01:01:13, but now my local time is "01:50". But then it went back to "00:46:55" before I finished the last sentence.

"Last Run" and "Last Result" on the "Profile Overview" tab sheet are saying the same thing. "Next Run" is showing a time a few min. in the future, different from what "Next Check" indicates (by my rough calculation).

Interestingly, "Next Run" for the test Profile (the only one where remote monitoring is working) says "Monitoring Folders". Before version 9.23, all my profiles with Real-Time Monitoring on regularly display "Monitoring Folders" there, but now only the test profile says so. All the others showing a time in the future.

Two screenshots are attached; test4, doc_common and doc_mingli are profiles with Real-Time Monitoring on.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (129.31 KiB) Viewed 7152 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (144.54 KiB) Viewed 7152 times

mwang

Post by mwang »

OK, I think I've figured out what went wrong. It's not Syncovery failing to poll the remote server or failing to see changes on the server. It's because I have "Minimum pause between actions" set.

When Syncovery polls the server and sees changes, it schedules a sync action in a few sec. When the "minimum pause" option is enabled, however, it sets the time for the next sync action to take place according to the time value set there (5 min. in my case). When Syncovery takes another poll 180 sec. (per my setting) later, it sees the changes again and reschedule the sync, again 5 min. into the future. As a result, Syncovery never get to actually sync the folders.

I think this is a bug, or do I misunderstand the meaning of "minimum pause between actions"? For me, it means the minimum amount of time between two actual sync actions. When Syncovery polls the remote server and sees a change, it should therefore schedule the next sync according to when the previous sync took place. If it's within 5 min., then set it to sync 5 min. from the last sync, otherwise set it to run soon. Setting it to run 5 min. from the polling doesn't make sense.

As it is, the "min. pause" setting is usable only when it's smaller than the polling interval, making it much less useful.

Anyway, I've worked around it. Please take a look at the mysterious "last run status" issue. Thanks!

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
thanks for finding this out!

The minimum pause between action works with normal real-time scanning but apparently not with the polling of cloud servers. I'm sorry but I never tested this combination of settings. I will fix it!

Again many thanks for the reports!