SharePoint upload storage discrepancy

English Support for Cloud Storage
whaskins

SharePoint upload storage discrepancy

Post by whaskins »

Hello,

I'm using Syncovery to move files from a file server to SharePoint.

Last night, I uploaded a folder containing 17 GB of data to a new SharePoint site. Before uploading, the site was using 0 GB of storage.

After the upload, Sharepoint reports the site is taking 43.2 GB.

If I inspect the contents of the site in Windows Explorer (Using Onedrive to sync the site down), I see 17 GB

Does anyone know why this may happen? Thanks for the help!

tobias

Re: SharePoint upload storage discrepancy

Post by tobias »

Hello,
unfortunately Sharepoint allocates at least two versions for each file even on the initial upload. One version for the upload, and another one for setting the original modification timestamp.

Why it's not exactly twice the expected size, I don't know.

whaskins

Post by whaskins »

tobias wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:24 pm
Hello,
unfortunately Sharepoint allocates at least two versions for each file even on the initial upload. One version for the upload, and another one for setting the original modification timestamp.

Why it's not exactly twice the expected size, I don't know.
Thank you for your help.

I wonder if there is a fix planned for this. I won't be able to use the tool to upload all of the data they have, as that will way over-allocate their SharePoint storage limit.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
you need to complain with Microsoft, as they are doing this. Maybe you can ask them how to get rid of versions. I think they are enforcing them, but maybe they can be cleaned out or something like that.

You can however tell Syncovery to not try to preserve the original file modification times. That way you can avoid the additional storage, but all files will have the upload time as modification date and time.

The option is under Files->More in the profile. Scroll down and choose
X Copied Files Receive Current System Time as Modification Timestamp.