no tray icon in v9?

English Support for Syncovery on Apple Computers.
mwang

no tray icon in v9?

Post by mwang »

Happy to finally get v9, but I can't seem to find where to enable the tray icon. V9 release notes says there should be a new “Minimize to Tray” checkboxes on the Gears toolbar button menu, but there is no such checkbox on mine.

Is this something that hasn't been implemented yet on the mac version?

I'm using v.9.17 on macOS 10.15.7.

tobias

Re: no tray icon in v9?

Post by tobias »

Hello,
on macOS, only the Background Scheduler has a tray icon. When you start the scheduler, you will see it.

mwang

Post by mwang »

Ah, so! I'm using the service scheduler instead of the background scheduler. Seems to remember the service scheduler also came with a tray icon before v9, however. Any reason there isn't one?

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
the service scheduler never had an icon itself, but it's theoretically possible to also launch the BackgroundScheduler process just to show the icon. I will check if this works properly on Mac.

mwang

Post by mwang »

Some recent observations:

1. The tray icon came back mysteriously a few days ago, after one reboot. (I reboot my desktop every few days.) Great.

2. Updated to v.9.18d this evening, and the tray icon is missing again. Updated and restarted the service when prompted (when I launched the app); still no tray icon.

3. Rebooted and the tray icon showed up along with other tray icons, but only briefly. It disappeared after a few seconds right in front of my eyes.

4. Rebooted again and confirmed: Syncovery tray icon appeared soon after the system booted up (among the first tray icons to show up, expected since it's a service), but it lasted for just a few seconds. The icon disappeared before all my tray icons showed up.

If it matters, I always click "no" when Syncovery asks for root permission. I back up only data files; no root permission is needed.