File Attributes

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
adzlaw

File Attributes

Post by adzlaw »

When using the listening service on both sides, it would great if the File Attributes option worked even when the underlying endpoint (SFTP) is blind to file attributes. I treat hidden files specially and the backup needs to sync hidden attribute changes as well as copy them. I understand that the service will see file attributes.

Currently the File attribute tag does not appear to work when I am copying SFTP -> disk, listening both sides with the listening service.

I can live without this as I can use something else to index all attributes (VoidTools Everything) but it would be a great feature.

tobias

Re: File Attributes

Post by tobias »

Hello,
in what way could attributes "work" if the protocol does not support them? I don't think that the Windows "hidden" attribute can be transmitted over SFTP.

adzlaw

Post by adzlaw »

I am using SFTP connected to a windows drive with the files visible to the remote service (at the SFTP end).

If not already doing so, the remote service at the SFTP end could read and send the file attributes. The other end may not be processing the attributes/attribute changes as it sees that SFTP is selected even though it has the information due to the listening/remote service.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
yes, for listing purposes, the attributes should work fine over SFTP.

Maybe the problem is that for files to be considered hidden, they have to have that attribute on both sides?

adzlaw

Post by adzlaw »

This a real problem for me. I need an exact copy LHS (Windows + SFTP) -> R (Windows) with the hidden attribute being (i) copied on the first copy; and (iii) being updated when it changes on the LHS. I hadn't noticed the issue with a backup that I was taking. Any help here would be very much appreciated.
Attachments
Clipboard Image (2).jpg
Clipboard Image (2).jpg (85.22 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
Clipboard Image (1).jpg
Clipboard Image (1).jpg (82.42 KiB) Viewed 3421 times