SMTP Issue on Version 9

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
Bob C.

SMTP Issue on Version 9

Post by Bob C. »

I have Syncovery email me a daily summary. Right after I upgraded my Version 8 to version 9.08b I stopped getting the summary. During troubleshooting I discovered that the first time I send a test email from the Program settings I will get a message "ERROR Socket Error # 10061 Connection refused." But if I press the Send Test Email button again I get a 'Done' message and I do receive the email. If I log off of the computer and log back on then the same thing happens. The first test fails with the socket error message but after closing the error message and immediately pressing the test button again it works.

I should mention that I've used a SMTP test utility to verify there is no issue between the PC and the SMTP server. It only seems to be Syncovery.

Bob C.

Re: SMTP Issue on Version 9

Post by Bob C. »

An update to this issue - It started sending the daily summary. I have an idea that if I rebooted the PC that it wouldn't send the summary the following day but would send the summary the day after that. This would be the same behavior as I saw when doing the troubleshooting. The first time I pressed the send test email it wouldn't work. But the second time I'd press it, it would work. The next time I reboot the PC I'll test this theory and report back.

tobias

Re: SMTP Issue on Version 9

Post by tobias »

Hello,
it might be useful to turn on Internet Protocol Logging on the Program Settings dialog, tab sheet Logs. This should produce FTPLOG files in the temp folder, containing a log of the SMTP communication.

If SMTP connections just need a retry after a failure, that is probably something that could be added.

The SMTP library was updated in Syncovery 9, which might make a difference, although so far no bugs have been found.