How to backup the encryption used with Syncovery on Windows?

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
tukan

How to backup the encryption used with Syncovery on Windows?

Post by tukan »

Hi all,

I would like to have a complete off-line backup with complete possibility to decrypt all encrypted files. I would store the information in e.g. Veracrypt container so it would be still safe.

Is there a way to backup the encryption information used in Syncovery?

Thank you.

tobias

Re: How to backup the encryption used with Syncovery on Windows?

Post by tobias »

Hello,
the only information you need is the encryption Password Phrase, which you can find in each profile unter "Compress/Encrypt", on the "Encrypt" tab sheet.

tukan

Post by tukan »

tobias wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:12 pm
Hello,
the only information you need is the encryption Password Phrase, which you can find in each profile unter "Compress/Encrypt", on the "Encrypt" tab sheet.
Thank you Tobias for your reply. For encryption yes, but I have also scrambled the files. How do I know which file is which? This also applies to deleted files directory, how to unscramble the files without Syncovery?

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hi,
you can't really unscramble the filenames without Syncovery. But don't worry, Syncovery will always be there.

However I will provide a way to export a list or CSV table where you can look up encrypted file names.

In general only use encrypted filenames if you really really feel the need for it. It makes things more complicated.

tukan

Post by tukan »

tobias wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:29 am
Hi,
you can't really unscramble the filenames without Syncovery. But don't worry, Syncovery will always be there.

However I will provide a way to export a list or CSV table where you can look up encrypted file names.

In general only use encrypted filenames if you really really feel the need for it. It makes things more complicated.
The exporting feature would be great. It would be great if this could be automated for off-line backup workflow.

I always try to scramble the filenames only when absolutely necessary. In this workflow we have about 300k files total. From those we scramble about ~500 files, which is still far more than manageable manually. Unfortunately, in this use-case it is needed, no way around it.