Creating Volume Shadow?

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
» by

Creating Volume Shadow?

Post by » by »

I'm running Syncovery 10.13.0 (haven't checked for updates in 15 minutes so may not be latest) and it displays "Creating Volume Shadow For..." even while it copies many GB of data from source to destination. Should it be displaying this message while the copy is going on?

Edit: Finally, after about 50 GB had been copied, the message changed to "Copying [file name}...".

tobias

Re: Creating Volume Shadow?

Post by tobias »

Hello,
Syncovery can use Volume Shadowing in order to make it possible to copy locked files. When this happens, it normally tries to finish copying all regular (unlocked) files first, then create the volume shadow, and then finish copying the locked files.

Therefore, you may be seeing this status seemingly in the middle of the file copying. But it's more like the first copying phase is finished and some locked files could not be copied. Then the volume shadow is created, which can take a good while. And then the remaining files are copied.

Progress reporting will look different depending on how you start the profile (in Attended mode or in the background or via scheduler). It could be that the "creating shadow" status was not replaced immediately with the file copying status, although the shadow was already completed.

For background jobs, you can see more details by right-clicking the profile and choosing "Show Detailed Progress or Results in Browser".

In some cases you will want to avoid using volume shadows at all. Especially if the profile runs many times a day, or if its actions are triggered many times a day by real-time monitoring. In these cases, I recommend turning off the volume shadowing in the profile under "Access & Retries". Volume Shadowing takes time and resources (CPU and hard drive) and should only be used if you really must copy locked files.

I hope this sheds some light on it!