Exact Mirror mode and reparse point problems

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
Kevin04

Exact Mirror mode and reparse point problems

Post by Kevin04 »

I'm trying to set up the Exact Mirror mode to actually mirror everything from the left to the right on the filesystem level, exactly. However, I ran into two issues with reparse points. They both seem to affect junctions, file and folder symlinks in the same way, although I haven't tested every permutation.

1. Metadata changes are ignored when comparing reparse points
After mirroring a folder containing all kinds of reparse points, I update the modified timestamps, set a read-only flag or something else on the reparse points in the source. Then I rerun the profile, but no changes are detected, even though these changes would be detected for regular files and folders to trigger an update of the respective attributes on the destination side.

2. Converting reparse points to or from any other kind of directory entry is not possible
After mirroring a folder containing all kinds of reparse points, I delete everything in the source and recreate the entries with regular files and folders (i. e. all names included are the same, but file symlinks are now regular files and folder symlinks or junctions are now regular folders). Rerunning the profile detects differences between the source and destination, but it can't actually replace the reparse points in the destination with regular entries from the source. So, nothing changes and the next run will detect the same differences again.

I'm not sure if there is still an option I overlooked or misconfigured, so just in case someone wants to take a look, I have exported and attached the profile I use for evaluating. It's the closest approximation to my goal I could come up with so far, although I'm not sure if I will enable updating security metadata for existing items after all.

Note that this is not an exercise trying to find exotic configurations that fail, but are actual changes that happen intentionally from time to time on my system and I would like to reflect them when updating my backup with a sync method. For example, I sometimes move folders from one place to another but create junctions in their original locations, pointing to the respective new locations. At the moment, I can't find a way to replicate this with Syncovery (or any other software I've tried so far properly, to be fair). This looks like a very promising product with some great features though, so I'd very much like to use it in the future (the hard link support is, from all I know, a pretty unique selling point for example).
Attachments
test.zip
My test profile exported as INI and zipped
(938 Bytes) Downloaded 272 times

tobias

Re: Exact Mirror mode and reparse point problems

Post by tobias »

Hello,
thanks, that's very interesting. It doesn't sound too hard to implement these two items. I will check it.