Syncovery does't save selected folders

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
Artex

Syncovery does't save selected folders

Post by Artex »

I have a rich and branched structure of folders on my PC, so Syncovery is a great solution for data back up.
But I notice that it's impossible to adjust required profile for this task. :oops:
Namely, I faced the following problem.
Say, a folder to be back up has the following structure:

Code: Select all

[Drive:\]Folder
 [Drive:\]Folder\SubFolder1
  [Drive:\]Folder\SubFolder1\SubSubFolder1_1
  [Drive:\]Folder\SubFolder1\SubSubFolder1_2
 [Drive:\]Folder\SubFolder2
  [Drive:\]Folder\SubFolder1\SubSubFolder2_1
  [Drive:\]Folder\SubFolder1\SubSubFolder2_2
As usual, I create a profile, in the dialog "Profile Settings" I press "Choose Folders and Files...", in "Select Items to Synchronize" as "Left Base Path" I enter [Drive:\]Folder and in the tree below select required folders/files for backing up. After the adjusting has finished and "OK" has pressed, the dialog closes. The problem is that my settings are not saved for folders of 3d levels, that is for SubSubFolders. More exactly, for some SubFolders all works as needed (correctly), for some these settings are lost. For folders of 2nd levels (SubFolders) all works fine, that is settings are saved properly.

tobias

Re: Syncovery does't save selected folders

Post by tobias »

Hello,
in such cases, please make sure you remove the checkmark in the top right of the subfolder selection dialog.

The checkmark "Automatically Add Future New Folders and Files to Selection" makes the saving of the selection hugely more complex, because the selection is saved as an inverse selection. The checkmark causes the deselected folders to be saved rather than the selected ones. This can sometimes cause issues.

Even without this checkmark, Syncovery will automatically include all future new subfolders and files which are within the chosen folders. The checkmark is only relevant for future new siblings of deselected subfolders. So in case of your complex selection, you really want to avoid it.

Also make sure you have the latest Syncovery version.

Artex

Re: Syncovery does't save selected folders

Post by Artex »

Ohh! Indeed, this really works!
Danke schön!