Commandline usage

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
tobias

Re: Commandline usage

Post by tobias »

Yes!

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
please try Syncovery 9.07a now.

The new command line parameters are explained in the section "Generating Sync Preview Only" on
https://www.syncovery.com/command-line/

You can output the preview to the console or to a file, and choose between various formats:
XML, CSV, HTML

SamMarrocco

Post by SamMarrocco »

It appears that when using preview mode, the operation still creates a root folder. I.e....
(one argument per line for clarity)

"c:\program files\syncovery\syncoverycl.exe"
/INI="<MyPathToProfiles>\Syncovery Profiles\JobBackupProfile_1.ini"
/RUNX="Sam_SingleSourceBackupProfile"
/PREVIEWONLY
/P
/M
/EXCL=".AppleDouble.db;adb;"
/LOGFILE="BackupDrive:\BackupLogs\Log.txt"
/LEFT="JobDrive:\Jobs\FirstJob"
/RIGHT="BackupDrive:\Jobs\FirstJob"
/SHUTDOWN

When run as preview, this still creates a folder on the right named "FirstJob". Since it is a preview, it should not create anything.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Sorry but that is inevitable. If you don't want it, you can check root folder existence in your script.

tobias

Post by tobias »

I would also recommend not using /SHUTDOWN when creating a preview. It doesn't seem to make much sense.

SamMarrocco

Post by SamMarrocco »

Thank you.
Technically, I suppose it could be argued that it is not truly a 'preview' if if is making changes to the file system of any type.
Is it possible to disable "root check creation" as you suggest from the command line so that the same profile can still be used, or must one profile be used for preview and a second profile used for actual sync/backup operation?

tobias

Post by tobias »

I do not understand your use case. Can you explain it in more detail?

Why don't you want the destination folder?

SamMarrocco

Post by SamMarrocco »

I will elaborate further:

-When *truly* performing a sync or backup, the option of "create a destination folder" makes sense, as does making all other changes to the file system.

-When performing a "preview only", it is implied that it is a preview, and therefore will make no changes to any file systems; it is merely "predicting" or "previewing" the changes in anticipation of your approval. The changes should not actually be made until you reperform the sync/backup *without* "preview only" active.

An example:
A user wishes to perform a sync, but is uncertain which files will be changed. He performs a preview, then examines the output. If it looks good, he performat a "non-preview"--the actual sync/backup.

If he decides based upon the output of the preview, that he does *not* want to perform the sync/backup, he won't perform it in actuality, but there should not be a folder created from the preview--only from a true sync/backup.

The underlying definition is still this: PREVIEWONLY should only show you what will happen *if* you perform an actual sync/backup, but it shouldn't actually create or copy anything.

Does that help?

tobias

Post by tobias »

OK I will change it.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,

v9.07b implements this change now.