"Source Locked" Cannot move

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
thebwack

"Source Locked" Cannot move

Post by thebwack »

Testing re-naming folders and moving files. I'm managing a large SMB server of video and photo projects and an SMB archive we backup to.

I tried both one way standard copying and smart tracking also one way (left to right only, no deletions but want to move changes on right when they are made on left)

Getting "Cannot move or rename folder, Source Locked, Child items will be moved individually"

It is eventually making the move but with some leftover files and folder duplicates.

Is this a network permissions error? For SMB to SMB (Truenas server to Unraid Server - seperate windows machine for syncovery) what are some tips for settings? better to create a user in truenas and unraid that matches my windows credentials or put the SMB credentials in my syncovery settings?

Thanks! this software looks really promising for my setup.

Log below:

Code: Select all

Total System Memory at 6/14/2023 1:17:39 PM: 65536 MB, Available: 54747 MB, Memory Load: 16%

Left Side Volume Name:                EROS
Right Side Volume Name:               SKArchive

1:17:39 PM.185: Opening Database: C:\ProgramData\Syncovery\Database\Howmet.syncfdb
1:17:39 PM.206: Connecting With Database
1:17:39 PM.222: Database Connected
1:17:39 PM.229: Database Opening Complete
Copying Direction : Left To Right

Using reference database in file C:\ProgramData\Syncovery\Database\Howmet.syncfdb (107 Folders, 1583 Entries, DB size: 3,104 kB)

Scanning Folders Started At 6/14/2023 1:17:39 PM

Going to check if higher level folder should be moved instead: \01 - PROJECTS\Better Wireless Campaign\Battery Tool to \02 - PROJECTS\Better Wireless Campaign\Battery Tool
Going to check if higher level folder should be moved instead: \01 - PROJECTS\Better Wireless Campaign to \02 - PROJECTS\Better Wireless Campaign
Going to check if higher level folder should be moved instead: \01 - PROJECTS to \02 - PROJECTS
Remembering renamed folder on left side: \02 - PROJECTS
Going to check if higher level folder should be moved instead: \02 - PROJECTS\Better Wireless Campaign\Battery Tool to \01 - PROJECTS\Better Wireless Campaign\Battery Tool
Going to check if higher level folder should be moved instead: \02 - PROJECTS\Better Wireless Campaign to \01 - PROJECTS\Better Wireless Campaign
Going to check if higher level folder should be moved instead: \02 - PROJECTS to \01 - PROJECTS
Remembering renamed folder on right side: \01 - PROJECTS

Total System Memory at 6/14/2023 1:21:13 PM: 65536 MB, Available: 54727 MB, Memory Load: 16%

Free Space on left side :    21,129 GB, needed:    0 Bytes
Free Space on right side:    23,334 GB, needed:   6,466 MB

Main Copying Phase Started At 6/14/2023 1:21:13 PM

Retrying Folder Rename of \\TOWER\SKArchive\CURRENT\Clients\Howmet\02 - PROJECTS to 01 - PROJECTS
Retrying Folder Rename of \\TOWER\SKArchive\CURRENT\Clients\Howmet\02 - PROJECTS to 01 - PROJECTS
Cannot move or rename folder \\TOWER\SKArchive\CURRENT\Clients\Howmet\02 - PROJECTS
                          to 01 - PROJECTS
                             Source Locked
                Last Error:  Access is denied. 
Child items will be moved individually instead.

tobias

Re: "Source Locked" Cannot move

Post by tobias »

Hello,
apparently the NAS does not allow moving the folder. The actual cause is unknown, the error messages might be misleading.

If you choose "Exact Mirror" mode, Syncovery will eventually make sure that the destination matches the source.

You may have to run the job more than once though.

Avoiding duplicates is almost impossible if you want to synchronize without deletions. Exact Mirror mode will do deletions.

To keep deleted files in an archive folder, you can go to the tab sheet Files->Deleted Files in the profile and choose:
X Move Deleted Files into a Specified Folder ...

The folder needs to be specified for the destination side (R). It should be on the same network share, for example, you could specify:
\\TOWER\SKArchive\DeletedFiles

thebwack

Post by thebwack »

Thanks for your reply. I'm curious if there is documentation somewhere that shows the differences between the types of backup (exact mirror, etc) in more detail.

Maybe I should clarify what I want to accomplish and see if I understand this correctly.

"Avoiding duplicates is almost impossible if you want to synchronize without deletions. Exact Mirror mode will do deletions."

On our "Right Side" server, our Archive, I never want to delete a file even if we remove it from the "left" server. Sometimes on the left server we will rename folders or reorganize a client's folder structure which just wreaks havoc on the archive side (using another sync program). Up till now when staff make changes I spot them in the sync compare and manually fix them. As we grow this is gettin unwieldy.

In the example I posted I was just testing functionality and changed the name of a projects folder from "01 - Projects" to "02 - Projects" to see how it would make this change. I did it a couple times and each time it eventually completed without error like you stated, but it did leave some duplicates in the old folder tree "01 - Projects"

Some examples of usage I'm concerned about (might be problematic):

1. Say a client has 3 projects in their folder - /client/projects/a - /client/projects/b - /client/projects/c and these are also synced on the right archive. if we complete project c and delete it on the left I want it to still exist on the right. I want the right side to be an ever-growing archive while the left will have to be pruned to conserve space. Is this what you mean by "No Deletions"?

2. If for some reason (just an example) we were to then later change "/client/projects/..." to "/client/oldprojects/... " I know that "a" and "b" projects would get moved to this renamed folder structure but what would happen to "c"?

I think that what I'm wanting is probably a pipe dream but Syncovery is the first product I've seen with a "Smart Tracking" ability. I just am curious based on my needs if Exact Mirror is really what I want or if there is another set of settings I should be looking at.

Sorry for the long post. Hope it clarifies.

I will also try to sort out why the NAS is not allowing that folder change.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
the operating modes are explained in the F1 help.

You should use Exact Mirror and let Syncovery archive deleted items into a specified folder.

Alternatively, you can use the ever growing archive with Standard Copying, but you will inevitably get lots of duplicates.

For example, if a file is modified and moved to a different folder at the same time, you will have two different versions in two places in the archive.

If you want an ever-growing archive, that means you want obsolete folders too. It can never be guaranteed that a folder rename is mirrored completely. Probably some items will remain existing in the old folder name in the archive.

I don't recommend using SmartTracking in this scenario. It is mostly intended for two-way syncs.

thebwack

Post by thebwack »

"the operating modes are explained in the F1 help."

I totally missed this, thanks!

"You should use Exact Mirror and let Syncovery archive deleted items into a specified folder."

This sounds like the path forward. I will continue to test.

Thanks!