Is there a way to do a file integrity check of zipped + encrypted + uploaded files?

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
IMTheNachoMan

Is there a way to do a file integrity check of zipped + encrypted + uploaded files?

Post by IMTheNachoMan »

I backed up 1.5 TB of files to Backblaze B2 and I had them compressed + encrypted.

Now I want to do some kind of integrity checking/verification.

I would assume the process would do something like:
  1. Compress + encrypt the file locally
  2. Calculate the file hash
  3. Compare the local file hash with the hash of the compressed + encrypted file on Backblaze B2 (since B2 tells you file hash)
Does this make sense?

tobias

Re: Is there a way to do a file integrity check of zipped + encrypted + uploaded files?

Post by tobias »

Hello,
no, it cannot work this way. Encrypted files are always different due to salting. Their hashes cannot be compared.

The only way to verify the files is to download them and decrypt/decompress them.

You can use "Binary Comparison" on the tab sheet "Comparison" -> "More" to do this. Use the checkmark "Remember Results" to avoid verifying the same file again if the comparison job is started another time.

If you would like to verify only a subset, to save time and bandwidth, you can use a filter such as File Age: less than 100 days.

As an alternative, you can right-click a profile and choose "Test Backup Integrity". This will also download and unpack the files, but it won't compare them to the originals. The process might be a little faster, and verification against the checksums embedded in compressed archives is usually sufficient.

IMTheNachoMan

Re: Is there a way to do a file integrity check of zipped + encrypted + uploaded files?

Post by IMTheNachoMan »

Got it. Thank you!