7zip package (archive with multiple files)

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
Markus

7zip package (archive with multiple files)

Post by Markus »

Hi everyone, I'd like to post and discuss an issue with Syncovery 10 and 7zip archiving.

I'm experiencing this since a few weeks now and finally had some time to look into it in more depth. I was able to reproduce the issue now.

My scenario
When I select the option to compress data using 7z format and create compressed packages (many files per archive), the job fails as soon as the last file has been added to the archive. I experience this only with larger source directories - in my test I used 2000 files with 10 MB each (20GB). This only occurs when I select the 7z format and the job is executed by scheduler or manually in background. However, it won't fail, if I run the job in attended mode with preview. I can run the same job in background successfully when switching to ZIP instead of 7z format.

My real world use case is that I'd like to store photo galleries and other data on a cloud storage. To protect my data, I use encryption (ZIP 265 AES) and also prefer to hide filenames. Using ZIP option, I can only create a protected archive, but cannot hide file names. With 7z format also the file names are protected within the archives. I especially want to go for the compressed packages option and do not want to compress and encrypt each file individually.

Some more details
Version: 10.3.2 (64-bit)

Job is configured to use Standard copying from left to right (local directories), under Compress/Encrypt format 7z and option "use compressed packages" is selected. Thats all.

Job configuration:
https://i.imgur.com/htGcTje.png
https://i.imgur.com/YQ0nm9z.png

Error message:
Job starts either manually in background or by scheduler, it enumerates all files in the given left folder path and creates 7z file in the "temporary file directory". Once it reaches the last file, the job fails with the error message below.

INCOMPLETE: Error creating compressed package(s). Operation may be incomplete!

Forced closing Job Mutex due to inactivity
Job Mutex freed for profile TEST 7zip compressed package, thread no longer exists

Code: Select all

Main Copying Phase Started At 2/12/2023 5:55:01 PM
Copy L->R G:\TestSyncovery\left\00000000.dat  (10.0MB)
Copy L->R G:\TestSyncovery\left\00000001.dat  (10.0MB)
[...]
Copy L->R G:\TestSyncovery\left\00002000.dat  (10.0MB)
Deleting archive G:\App_SyncoveryTemp\Top Level-2023-02-12 17.55.01.7z after exception The operation was canceled by the user
Error zipping: Operation Canceled

For testing I used some generic data, which I've generated with the PowerShell code below. Syncovery behaves with this data similar to the original data I want to copy.

Code: Select all

$Path = 'G:\SyncoveryTest\left'
New-Item -ItemType Directory -Path $Path
(0..2000) | % {
    $f = New-Object System.IO.FileStream "$($Path)\$('{0:d8}' -f $_).dat", Create, ReadWrite
    $f.SetLength(10MB)
    $f.Close()
}

EDIT - what I've tried so far
* run manually (Attended mode) - works
* use ZIP instead of 7z format - works
* Windows Defender folder exception + disable real-time protection - does not work
* Enable option "compress directly to destination" - works and also fixes issue as long as source data remains the same

tobias

Re: 7zip package (archive with multiple files)

Post by tobias »

Hello,
apparently this is caused by the watchdog mechanism on the Program Settings dialog, tab sheet "Events".

It seems that Syncovery detects the profile as inactive while the archive is finalized and cancels it.

I will fix this, but please disabled the watchdog for now. It is almost never needed anyway.

tobias

Post by tobias »

It should be fixed in v10.3.4 now.

Markus

Post by Markus »

Hey, I've spent some time earlier testing the behavior without the watchdog and it seems to work so far.

I did not expect such a quick feedback and hotfix. Will try the new version tomorrow!

Thank you very much!