Special Characters

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
jdainis

Special Characters

Post by jdainis »

Having issues with special characters like !, @, #, $, %, &, (, and ) within filenames. Though my files aren't being changed or updated, Syncovery attempts to copy files with these characters each and every time I run a sync. Is there a setting that can be enabled to allow these characters?

tobias

Re: Special Characters

Post by tobias »

Syncovery doesn't have any problems with such characters. Maybe you are using an Internet Protocol like FTP or WebDAV? It depends very much on the server etc.

Please provide more details.

jdainis

Post by jdainis »

WebDAV is currently set as the Internet Protocol. Is there another you'd suggest using instead?

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
yes, usually SFTP is the best and FTP is also OK.

WebDAV can normally handle these characters but some WebDAV servers are buggy and don't encode or decode them correctly.

There is one checkmark for WebDAV that you can try though:
-> Use DisplayNames from WebDAV

This is on the second tab sheet of the Internet Protocol Settings dialog.

jdainis

Post by jdainis »

When I try the SFTP or FTP protocols, I get "Error: Cannot access..."

When using "Display names from WebDav" checkmark, the files continue to be synced over and over.

Is there another Internet Protocol i should try or is this something i should check with my company's IT department on?

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
yes you need to check with your IT department to see if they support SFTP or FTP. Maybe they don't.

Maybe the WebDAV functionality can be tweaked. Are you uploading or downloading, or both?

If you are only uploading, you can choose "Cache Destination File List" from the Special tab sheet in the profile to avoid re-uploading files that Syncovery can't see for some reason. Make sure the cache settings dialog has only the topmost checkmark chosen.

We can also try to look at the WebDAV listing in detail. For that you would need to turn on "Internet Protocol Logging" on the Logs tab sheet of the Program Settings dialog and run the job in attended mode, make a screenshot of the Sync Preview so I can see which files it wants to upload, and then let it upload some of these files. When the job is complete, send the log file as well as all the FTPLOG files from the TEMP folder to support@syncovery.com.

jdainis

Post by jdainis »

Just uploading

tobias

Post by tobias »

OK then Cache Destination List is your friend, just check that the uploaded files actually arrive.