Is there any documentation on how to set up two way sync between a folder on two computers?

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
IMTheNachoMan

Is there any documentation on how to set up two way sync between a folder on two computers?

Post by IMTheNachoMan »

Let me explain my setup.
  • I have two computers: desk and lap
  • I want to keep some of the folders in my home directory in sync:
    • C:\Users\me\Desktop
    • C:\Users\me\Pictures
    • C:\Users\me\Downloads
    • C:\Users\me\Documents
  • There is nothing special/unique about lap
  • I have changed some settings of these home directory folders on desk
    • From the properties of some of these folders, I changed their location to another hard drive (screenshot below)
    • So the end result for these folders on desk is:
      • Desktop is in D:\me\Desktop
      • Pictures is in D:\me\Pictures
      • Downloads is in the default location of C:\Users\me\Downloads
      • Desktop is in default location of C:\Users\me\Desktop
    • The point I am making is, that on desk, C:\Users\me\Desktop and C:\Users\me\Pictures don't actually exist
Now, I want to keep these folders synced on my two computers. I'm not sure how best to accomplish this. desk is my main machine that Syncovery will be running on.
  • I assume I would map C:\Users\me from lap on desk, correct?
  • Would/should I create 4 jobs, one for each folder, or would I create 1 job and just select these folders and unselect everything else?
  • If I create one job, how do I make it so the syncs work; for example: Desktop from desk (which is actually in D:\me\Desktop) syncs with C:\Users\me\Desktop on lap
  • Any other special settings I should use for a two way sync? I don't need/care about files being renamed or moved since I don't do that. But if a file is deleted from one side, it should delete from the other.

tobias

Re: Is there any documentation on how to set up two way sync between a folder on two computers?

Post by tobias »

Hello,
sorry for the late reply.

I would run Syncovery on the desktop only for this purpose.

Can the desktop already see your laptop in Windows Explorer?

What Syncovery really needs is working network shares and some UNC paths, such as
\\laptop\me

If you have such paths working in Windows Explorer, then you can use them in Syncovery.

Two separate Syncovery jobs should be sufficient. You can sync
C:\Users\me with \\laptop\me
and use the subfolder selection to choose only Downloads and Desktop.

And, most importantly, make sure that the checkmark in the upper right of the subfolder selection is unchecked (not ticked). The one that says "Automatically add future new folders ...". Because you don't want that. Future new subfolders of Downloads and Desktop will always be included. But you don't want to include a future new sibling of Downloads or Desktop.

Then the second job could sync
D:\me with \\laptop\me

And again be careful about the subfolder selection.

Run the jobs manually in attended mode first to make sure they work correctly.

For a two-way sync with deletion detection, you need to choose the SmartTracking operating mode and click the Configure button for SmartTracking to specify what should happen with deleted files.

See also
https://www.syncovery.com/documentation ... deletions/

IMTheNachoMan

Re: Is there any documentation on how to set up two way sync between a folder on two computers?

Post by IMTheNachoMan »

I see. So two jobs would be the recommendation. Thanks.
Can the desktop already see your laptop in Windows Explorer?
Yes.
What Syncovery really needs is working network shares and some UNC paths, such as
\\laptop\me
I have that. But, should I map \\laptop\me on my desktop or should I just use the UNC path in Syncovery?

Thank you so much!

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hi,
ideally you would use UNC paths in Syncovery directly. It's better to be independent from any mapping that might change some day.

Contractor5Prepays9

Post by Contractor5Prepays9 »

to nachoman,
what you want to do is doable.
it takes planning, as tobias said.

end-folder on desktop <-> end-folder-path on laptop. just make sure paths are pointed to correctly.

if you are only going left-to-right, then exact mirror.
if you are doing L-R, and R-L, then standard copying, and RUN IN ATTENDED MODE, so you can see what is being copied, deleted, etc, and you can adjust this.

I have multiple macihnes i do this with (mine, desktop, couple laptops, etc), and my sister's machines, we have used syncovery before there were even versino numbers !!!

it just takes time to set up, and care when running, so you know which files are going where.

IMTheNachoMan

Post by IMTheNachoMan »

Thanks. Yeah, I set it up and it's been working fine. Love it. Thanks!