Moving Syncovery to a new server

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
typod

Moving Syncovery to a new server

Post by typod »

Hi,

I am replacing my old server and want to move all the sync jobs over to it. I plan to move the data drives from the old server to the new one keeping the drive letters the same as the old server.

I need to move all my sync backup jobs over to the new server ideally without having to upload everything again. Is this as simple as getting all the disks installed on the new server and copying over the Syncovery INI file?

Cheers

tobias

Re: Moving Syncovery to a new server

Post by tobias »

Hello,
yes, copying over the Syncovery.ini file to the same location will put all configured profiles (or jobs) on the new machine.

The full path is normally
C:\ProgramData\Syncovery\Syncovery.ini

If you want to start really clean (other than the profiles themselves), you could copy only this one file over.

Or, if you want the exact same situation as before, you can copy the complete Syncovery folder over. This would include old log files and Databases.

You might want to look in the Database subfolder to see if there are any files with recent modification dates. Databases are used only for some specific purposes:
- SmartTracking
- Exact Mirror with Delayed Deletions
- Cache Destination File List
- Block Level Copying and Synthetic Backup
- Changes based listing method for Google Drive, DropBox, Box, and Sharepoint/OneDrive/Graph.

Especially if you sync with one of these cloud storages, it makes sense to copy the databases over in order to avoid lengthy re-scanning of the whole folder structures, or re-downloading the complete history of changes.

typod

Re: Moving Syncovery to a new server

Post by typod »

Thanks for the heads up. I totally forgot about the databases which I use for some block level backups to Azure.