syncovery, destination another computer, can PIN be used in network connection

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
Contractor5Prepays9

syncovery, destination another computer, can PIN be used in network connection

Post by Contractor5Prepays9 »

dear support
i have windows 11 computer, just got it.
if i do copy from SOURCE (Home11), to Destination (\Home12 machine), how do i set up the network connection (usually asks for username and passowrd), but i am now using PINS on the new computer. Can syncovery handle a PIN in replacement for password?
thanks
nick

tobias

Re: syncovery, destination another computer, can PIN be used in network connection

Post by tobias »

Hello,
thanks for posting here!

I would say that Syncovery has nothing to do with it. This is just a general Windows question.

You can try it in Windows Explorer. As far as I know, it will require your password.

I believe every Windows account that has a PIN also has a password. So I think you just need to try and find it.

Contractor5Prepays9

Re: syncovery, destination another computer, can PIN be used in network connection

thanks
see attached, this is the section i am in quiring about, what gets entered here.
i think the windows 11 takes OUT the password, if the PIN gets aplied (ecample, local admin account)
thanks
Attachments
807.jpg
807.jpg (93.95 KiB) Viewed 1978 times

Contractor5Prepays9

network sharing not possible if PIN security is used, from what i am reading. This limits syncovery (and other programs) to share files across network.

PIN security is limited to local machine. This is of BENEFIT, it protects hard drives (and windows 11 now is encrypting drives behind the scenes, and if the correct pin is not entered, the drive is still encrypted).
There are ways to TURN OFF PIN (windows "hello" ) protection, and activate password, and thus access the network drive, but that then defeats the purpose of the PIN and you would have to keep switching back and forth in the network security permissions.
SO, that poses a problem in how to use syncovery to clone across home computers using previous SHARES of drives.
same limitations for any other use of the network shares; if oyu look at desktop, and select NETWORK, and see a connected home drive, same scenario, you cannot log into it to access a shared drive.

I don't know how to work around this, i've searched google, etc.

a workaround is to clone the home drive data (encrypt the upload) with syncovery to OneDrive, then download to the other computer.

anyway, this is what i've discovered.
nick

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
my findings are a little different.

PIN is just a shortcut / gimmick for a quick desktop login. It does not replace or remove your password.

You can always fall back to using the real password, even for login.

Contractor5Prepays9

the pin does allow faster login. But, it is associated with Windows "hello", which limits its use to the single machine.
With the TPM 2.0 chips, and windows "hello", and either PIN/Facial recognition/Fingerprint, the drive is encrypted with "windows encryption" (windows 11 home), which is Bitlocker integrated, under another name. You can go to your microsoft account home page, and the recovery keys for "windows encryption" are stored as backup there.
I HAVE windows 10 pro on home on my home machines, and have bitlocker, it requires its OWN pin entry, because the machine does not have windows "hello". But the new machine, with windows "hello", integrates all this together.

IF you select the option to bypass windows "hello" (and the pin/face/fingerprint), then the machine is more susceptible to outside hacking, etc. Now, if these machines are sitting in my house, that is probably not much of an issue, but with the tablet/laptop, that is one of the benefits of the increased security, in case i travel, etc.
AND the problem there is that it is not an easy series of steps to set up, to switch between the "hello" and the password, from what i'm reading or trying to figure out.

nothing's ever simple. I will keep investigating this, and see if there is an easy way to transition between password and "hello" pin,so that i could turn on the password, use syncovery, turn off the password, etc.

again, i appreciate all your work and feedback with this.
nick

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
I think when you start trying to create a network share, Windows will either tell you that it's not possible or guide you through the necessary steps.

Contractor5Prepays9

tobias, i'm learning more as i search.

for the machine, for the MICROSOFT account, the PIN is better, so that the password is not broadcast over internet to connect, etc, and the pIN is local.

For LOCAL admin or user accounts, the PASSWORD option can be turned on and used, instead of PIN, and would still have the protection of being LOCAL.
That may allow logging in with syncovery, i will experiment

BUT, my questions still remain about PIN, password, TPM, windows encryption, i am still researching.
thanks
nick

Contractor5Prepays9

I was wrong with the network configuration.The pin is the best choice to use for your actual Microsoft account on a windows 11 system. Various reasons for security.
However, with a local account, you do have the option for both pin and password. Being that it's local, I don't know if it is totally clear if this has any more security using the pin over the password. However, when you do use the password, the machine is discoverable over the network.
Then, in that local account, you could set up shares, etcetera, and that can be your destination device, and the source machine can see that, and I believe syncovery will also see it. I have not tested syncovery's access of the machine but I am now able to see the network machine in my windows explorer folder.
I will post more as I test this.