The history of files on google disk is not stored when using encryption

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
Flint

The history of files on google disk is not stored when using encryption

Post by Flint »

I want to use history of encrypted files when using Google disk folder in Syncovery.
But, for example, if I create a file TestFile.txt with the contents "123", then I get a file TestFile.txt.s3.zip

If I change the contents of the file to "124", then Syncovery will modify the existing file TestFile.txt.s3.zip and Google disk recognizes this operation as a change in the file. So, the history of the file modification will remain in Google disk. And this is the behavior that you expect from program.

But, if I change the contents of the file TestFile.txt to "1235", then Syncovery
will create a new file TestFile.txt.s4.zip and
delete the old file TestFile.txt.s3.zip.
So, the history of changes in Google disk in this case will be lost.

Depending on the contents of the changed file - the history of the modification of files on Google disk is stored or not. This behavior of the program brings confusion. I cannot distinguish a deleted file in a Trash from file, which is just a version of a modified file.

tobias

Re: The history of files on google disk is not stored when using encryption

Post by tobias »

Hello,
that's an interesting observation. Unfortunately Syncovery must store the original uncompressed file size in the file name, otherwise it cannot reliably synchronize and compare files.

Maybe in a future version I can try to save the original file size as a comment or other metadata.

Flint

Post by Flint »

Thanks for the quick response.

A simple way is to modify the file TestFile.txt.s3.zip, and then rename to TestFile.txt.s4.zip.
Or vice versa, rename to TestFile.txt.s4.zip, and then modify the file TestFile.txt.s4.zip.
But in these options - in first action, the file will be in an inconsistent state.

Therefore, for consistency, it would be possible to make first renaming to a temporary file TestFile.txt.s3_temp.zip or TestFile.txt.s4_temp.zip, then a modification and then again renaming to a new file name TestFile.txt.s4.zip.

Flint

Post by Flint »

Or rename it into a temporary file with name TestFile.txt.s3_temp_s4.zip
So that 2 file sizes are encoded there, which can potentially be inside. In order to show to the program that the file is in one of these 2 states.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hi,
in fact I can probably rename it to the new name with only the one size, then replace it ... in any case, there may be a way to keep the history.

I will put it on my to do list.

Flint

Post by Flint »

Thank you. I will wait for the update

Flint

Post by Flint »

tobias wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:51 pm
Hi,
in fact I can probably rename it to the new name with only the one size, then replace it ... in any case, there may be a way to keep the history.

I will put it on my to do list.
Hi. Are you planning to add this functionality?