Will Syncovery Remote Services help with two-way-sync of folders on two computers on my LAN

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
IMTheNachoMan

Will Syncovery Remote Services help with two-way-sync of folders on two computers on my LAN

Post by IMTheNachoMan »

I want to keep the documents folders on both of my Windows 10 machines in sync:
  • desk
  • lap
My plan was to:
  • create a network share of my documents folder on lap
  • map \\lap\documents on desk
  • install Syncovery on desk and create a two way sync job with the share
My two questions/concerns:
  • When I modify a file on lap, how will Syncovery on desk know so it can run the job to make an update?
  • Will Syncovery Remote Services help me with my configuration?

tobias

Re: Will Syncovery Remote Services help with two-way-sync of folders on two computers on my LAN

Post by tobias »

Hello,
every time the sync job runs, Syncovery will compare the folders and copy the files as needed.

You can either run the sync jobs manually or via scheduler.

The scheduler can run jobs at regular intervals and/or use real-time synchronization, which relies on file system events generated by Windows. These events are also available via LAN, so the laptop will send notifications to the desktop and Syncovery will know which folders need to be synced.

The Remote Service can help if building the file list takes too long for full syncs (not in real time mode). You would only be using its Remote Listing feature, most likely not any of the other features.

You also need to consider what should happen when you delete a file. You probably need the SmartTracking mode to handle deleted files. Click the Configure button to determine what Syncovery should do.

See also
https://www.syncovery.com/documentation ... deletions/
https://www.syncovery.com/remoteservice/

IMTheNachoMan

Re: Will Syncovery Remote Services help with two-way-sync of folders on two computers on my LAN

Post by IMTheNachoMan »

So will the remote services help or it isn't needed? I'm trying to figure out which license I should get. I only have two computers.

How will Syncovery handle when the lap reconnects to the network? Say I take it somewhere outside of home, not connected to my lan, make some changes, and then bring it home. Can Syncovery on my desk see that the laptop connected to the network to initiate a sync?

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
in general you do not need the Remote Service.

Yes Syncovery will be able to detect if the laptop joins the LAN. Maybe within 1 minute or so.

You should try it out and then you will know if building the file list takes too long. Only then you would need the Remote Service.

You can always upgrade the license for the difference anyway.

Please try it and let me know if questions remain.