Upgraded to Syncovery 10, lost all of my settings and profiles

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
» by

Upgraded to Syncovery 10, lost all of my settings and profiles

Post by » by »

I purchased and installed the Syncovery 10 upgrade. Everything was fine until I went into settings and selected "Registry (user-specific)" for "Store Preferences And Profiles In".

I was prompted to back up my settings, and accepted the offer. I was prompted to enter a password, but since I don't care about my settings being encrypted, left it blank and simply hit "OK". There were a bunch of error messages, and now Syncovery is a blank slate. All of my settings and profiles are gone.

Pointing Syncovery to the Syncovery.ini file in my AppData\Roaming directory does not help.

I do have copies of the old Syncovery.ini file. I'm not willing to reconfigure everything. How do I get back to where I was?

» by

Re: Upgraded to Syncovery 10, lost all of my settings and profiles

Post by » by »

I think I've managed to get back to where I was. But I want to store my settings in the registry. How can I do that without recreating all of my profiles and settings?

Edit: I guess that I simply have to reconfigure everything manually, but can export and then import the profiles? Can I just say that this is more difficult and stressful than perhaps it should be? I didn't expect to lose everything simply by selecting "Registry". I expected everything to be transferred over automatically.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
to be honest, saving profiles in the registry is a legacy mode and only provided for backwards compatibility. Or simply because I didn't have the guts to take it out. It is not tested whatsoever and you will definitely run into serious problems if you try to use it.

Please don't!

» by

Post by » by »

LOL, OK. I had already decided to use an .INI file in %AppData%\Syncovery instead.

BTW, Syncovery uses %AppData% by default (if "each user's 'Application Data' folder' is chosen), which I am sorry to say, is not ideal or expected. It should use %AppData%\Syncovery, and not store its files in the \Roaming folder itself.

It's also strange that Syncovery would use %AppData% (i.e. "\Roaming") at all, since it wants to use a machine- or user-tied encryption key by default. If you're machine- or local-user-tied, you'd want to use %LocalAppData% (i.e. "\Local"), not %AppData%. I assume I don't need to explain why this is so.

OK, I'll shut up.

Thanks for the reply!

tobias

Post by tobias »

Thanks, I will look into it.