More detail about V10 Combining Versioning and Block Level Copying

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
rex.withers

More detail about V10 Combining Versioning and Block Level Copying

Post by rex.withers »

Hi Could I have some more information about V10's new feature of Combining Versioning and Block Level Copying. I cant seam to get it to work there are a number of settings and im not sure as the the correct interplay between those.

The possibilities are exciting, if this works as I hope all my customers will upgrade to get this feature.

Ideally I would like to backup my *vhdx files to external HDD as follows:
- From the server to another PC that has the remote service installed and a USB hard drive for backup
- Block Level Copying (for speed getting them off the server and across the network with minimal traffic)
- 2 versions (I understand this is handled by the remote service)
- Encryption [which means zipping, minimal compression] (in case the USB hard drive is lost stolen)
- Not using the synthetic backup which I don't like (too many files and I don't understand it, not confident I can work out how to restore after a catastrophic failure)

Thanks!!

This is the part I don't understand what combination of settings generate the above result

tobias

Re: More detail about V10 Combining Versioning and Block Level Copying

Post by tobias »

Hello,
the new feature does not work with encryption, and it is not intended for external USB drives.

It's intended to run on a remote machine, i.e. you copy data over a network, to another machine or NAS.

I'm afraid the new feature is not suitable for your use case.

If you need to keep two versions with encryption, and you don't want the whole file be copied to the drive every time, then the only option is Synthetic Backup with many smaller compressed files. Restoring is done by using the Restore Wizard or just reversing the copy direction.

Even without versioning, block level copying does not work with encryption, unless you do Synthetic Backup.

So I guess maybe you can just avoid block level copying and let Syncovery copy the whole file every time. In that case, you can use Versioning without restrictions.

rex.withers

Re: More detail about V10 Combining Versioning and Block Level Copying

Post by rex.withers »

OK, I understand. In one instance its 1.5TB for the nightly backup so needs to be partial updates.

Ill will look again at synthetic backup I guess, or some other solution altogether.

Thanks for getting back to me