Confused over how to exclude (system) folders

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
» by

Confused over how to exclude (system) folders

Post by » by »

I'm simply trying to mirror one SSD to another, straight from the root directory. But whenever I run the profile, Syncovery 9.48n wants to sync $Recycle.Bin and "System Volume Information".

I have both $Recycle.Bin and "System Volume Information" excluded in the profile (and also in Global Exclusions), but Syncovery still tries to sync them. These folders appear in the preview in attended mode, and in unattended mode, I get errors saying that there is no exclusive access to "System Volume Information" on the destination drive.

OK, so I went into "Choose Folders and Files..." and deselected $Recycle.Bin and "System Volume Information". I didn't want to do this because I think this will prevent new subfolders on the source from being synced automatically. And the same thing happens anyway: Syncovery tries to sync these folders.

I've tried using both "Don't Copy" and "Ignore Totally" and it makes no difference.

What is going on here?

I've been struggling with this and I'm frustrated at this point. Please advise.

» by

Re: Confused over how to exclude (system) folders

Post by » by »

I guess the problem was that I had "Remove Deselected Subfolders And Files From Destination" selected. Turning that option off seems to have resolved the problem.

This is still confusing to me, because $Recycle.Bin and "System Volume Information" were never "deselected"; they were excluded by mask (under "Exclusion Masks"), and I still have "Remove Files That Do Not Match the File Masks From Destination" and "Remove Files That Do Not Match the Filters From Destination" enabled.

What makes it even more confusing is that this happens even with "Ignore Totally" selected. So, "Ignore Totally" does not, in fact, mean "Ignore Totally"?

Very confusing.

Edit: Wow, every post newer than mine has a reply. I guess I said something totally crazy.