Choose folders and files quirk

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
ChaosX

Choose folders and files quirk

Post by ChaosX »

2 PC... PC1 with 10 /Documents subfolders, the other, PC2, with 5 /Documents subfolders (which are common to PC1)

I want to sync those common folders between the two PCs...

I select "Choose folders and files", and then select all folders on PC2 (right-side, FWIW). When I "OK" and close the window, the app changes from selected folders, to "all" and includes all 10 folders on PC1... even though I only checked the PC2 folders.

This is unexpected. One work around is to create an unused sub-folder in PC2, which is not selected. Otherwise, selecting all 5 PC2 folders gives me all 10 PC1 folders.

tobias

Re: Choose folders and files quirk

Post by tobias »

Hello,
yes, that is so, by design. In such cases, the folders should be selected in the other tree, the one that has more folders. Make sure you place checkmarks only on one side (in one of the two treeviews).

If there is a treeview on one side with nothing unchecked, that means all folders will be synced from all sides.

Also take a look at the checkmark in the top right "Automatically Add Future New Folders and Files to Selection". This checkmark determines if new folders at the top level (i.e. an 11th folder) will be automatically added to the selection.

Of course, future new folders and files which are in subfolders will always be selected, regardless of the state of this checkmark. But if a new sibling appears, on a level where some folders are selected and others aren't, then the checkmark determines whether the new sibling will be automatically selected or not.

ChaosX

Re: Choose folders and files quirk

Post by ChaosX »

So I just stick with my workaround with the empty folder, as I want to sync from the PC2 with fewer folders to the one with more folders... Such that if I create a new folder on the PC2, it will be synced to the PC1 with greater number of folders.

Otherwise selecting folders from PC1, it would never see folders added to PC2.

And I don't want all of PC1s Folders on PC2.