Update Creates Desktop Icon - How Disable

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
PicoStallone

Update Creates Desktop Icon - How Disable

Post by PicoStallone »

Each time I update Syncovery it automatically creates a desktop icon for the program. I don't require the icon and manually delete it each time and update is performed. Is there a way to disable the automatic creation of the desktop icon each time Syncovery is updated? I can't find a switch in the preferences for this.

DenalB

Re: Update Creates Desktop Icon - How Disable

Post by DenalB »

I think you enabled the creation of the Desktop shortcut while installing Syncovery for the first time. Every update installs like you choose. So the icon will be created on Desktop when updating the software.

If you remove Syncovery and reinstall it without enabling the Desktop shortcut, updates should not create such an icon. But please be aware to back up your configuration first.

Also, I found the following registry setting.

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Syncovery x64_is1]
"Inno Setup: Deselected Tasks"="desktopicon,quicklaunchicon"
This is my setting, and you can see that I disabled the task "desktopicon" while installing Syncovery. Perhaps you could add "desktopicon" to your registry setting. But I don't know if this would change the behavior.

Please keep in mind that you should only change things in the registry if you know what you are doing!

PicoStallone

Post by PicoStallone »

Great suggestion DenalB,

To make it work though, the Data in Inno Setup: Selected Tasks also had to be modified. Thanks for the insight on where to start on this task. Good on 'ya!

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Syncovery x64_is1]
"Inno Setup: Deselected Tasks"="mainicons,desktopicon,quicklaunchicon"
"Inno Setup: Selected Tasks"=""

DenalB

Post by DenalB »

You are welcome. Glad that I could help a bit. ;)