The Encryption Password in this profile is missing

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
ChaosX

The Encryption Password in this profile is missing

Post by ChaosX »

What happened?
The Encryption Password in this profile is missing. Please Re-Enter it in the profile.
Exception (RunOnce): Missing Encryption Password - Please Re-Enter in Profile (ERunException) @00000000020500B4, Checkpoints: Run____1
As it turned out, I backed up all my profiles today, and restored the password.

I'm wondering if the backup process removed the password from the active profile.

v9.45d

tobias

Re: The Encryption Password in this profile is missing

Post by tobias »

Hello,
it could be related to the new settings encryption. Please check the first tab sheet of the Program Settings dialog. If for some reason Syncovery can't decrypt the password, then it is missing. See also

https://www.syncovery.com/documentation ... ncryption/

ChaosX

Post by ChaosX »

tobias wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:38 am
Hello,
it could be related to the new settings encryption. Please check the first tab sheet of the Program Settings dialog. If for some reason Syncovery can't decrypt the password, then it is missing. See also

https://www.syncovery.com/documentation ... ncryption/
Seems normal...

tobias

Post by tobias »

Yes, but for example if the scheduler runs as a service, it can't get your password from your personal vault. So it cannot decrypt the passwords. Also if you log on to the Windows desktop as different users, it won't work.

If you make sure that the Syncovery GUI is running, then the service can enquire the password via inter-process communication. It will also then store the password in its own vault, so that after a while you won't need to keep the GUI running.

All these features are fairly new, so you may want to make sure you have the latest Syncovery version to get the latest bug fixes and improvements.

If you continue to have problems, you may want to choose the default "Automatic Key Tied To This Computer" as settings encryption method.

ChaosX

Post by ChaosX »

Thanks for your reply. I read it 2x, and I guess I'll figure it out. I've never had this problem before, and understanding what is different and how I must change my profiles is unclear. FWIW, I've struggled to understand the password encryption options, even after reading the blog post. I gave up and just selected the example you posted for your profiles. New features are great, but I'm slow on the uptake.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hi,
in general I would recommend avoiding the checkmark "Store All Passwords in the Windows Credential Manager".