Filter by file type

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
ryank

Filter by file type

Post by ryank »

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to configure a profile to upload only certain file types without having to manually select the files within a folder.

Example: As part of my photography workflow I use Syncovery to create a one-way backup to OneDrive for photo backup (mostly to prevent catastrophic loss). Since it's cloud storage that I have to pay for, I obviously try to limit how much I upload. Therefore, I wish to only upload my raw photos (.CR2 and .RAF files for Canon and Fuji cameras respectively), but I want to EXCLUDE all of the JPG files in these respective folders and subfolders (about 50 sub-folders in my case). I can somewhat easily re-create the JPGs by batch conversion from the RAW files if necessary, so I don't need to backup the JPGs remotely in my case (I still have local backups), and this saves about 400Gb for me. As a side note, I use Google Photos to get free JPG photo backup up to 16 megapixel resolution, which is fine for my purpose, such as general photo viewing and searching for specific people (Google's machine learning algorithms for people detection are top notch).

So I'm wondering, can I modify my existing file backup profile to do this? I searched through the settings but wasn't able to find anything to this effect.

This seems like a useful feature.

Thanks!

tobias

Re: Filter by file type

Post by tobias »

Hello,
yes, you can use Inclusion Masks such as:

*.CR2;*.RAF

Then only these files will be copied.

You can also do the opposite, and only exclude certain file types. In that case, you would not touch the Inclusion Masks and use Exclusions instead, such as:

*.jpg

Inclusion and Exclusion Masks are available in both Wizard Mode and Advanced Mode.

In Wizard Mode, they are on Step 4 of 6 when editing or creating a profile.

In Advanced Mode, they are in the lower half of the profile dialog, unter "Masks & Filters".

ryank

Re: Filter by file type

Post by ryank »

Brilliant thanks, worked perfectly!

I guess the term "mask" didn't jump out at me, but the name makes sense in hindsight. I also figured out the help section (F1) has tons of info for these sort of questions.

Thanks,
Ryan