Update check not working

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
» by

Update check not working

Post by » by »

For many months, and across several different versions, Syncovery has been telling me that "You are running the latest version" whenever I check for updates--even when an update is available.

I'm currently running 9.44c, for example, and there is a new version available. I had to manually find and update to 9.44c, and before that, a similar issue occurred.

The update check doesn't fail. It's not timing out, and it's not throwing an error. Instead, it's falsely telling me that there are no updates when in fact there are.

Please advise.

tobias

Re: Update check not working

Post by tobias »

Hello,
it's probably a Firewall issue or something like that. Currently, the check does not show any error messages. I may be going to change this in the future.

In general, as a rule of thumb: there's always an update, and you can download it from our web site.

» by

Post by » by »

My firewall wasn't blocking it; I have an allow rule in place and also don't see any log entries showing that syncovery.exe was being blocked.

Instead the issue seems to have been that www.syncovery.com was blocking the connection from my VPN endpoint. I changed the endpoint and it's now working.

This is even more annoying. If a connection fails, the UI should never indicate or even imply that it succeeded.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hi,
yes, correct - Syncovery will NEVER hide any errors from you except with the update check feature. I will change that.

I don't think our server blocks any update checks, you can check the URL in a browser yourself:

https://www.syncovery.com/sffsver9x64.txt

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
the new version 9.45b is now available, which will show a detailed error when the update check fails.

» by

Post by » by »

Fantastic. Thank you!

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hi,
to correct myself, the Mac version is now available and the Windows version will be released in a few hours.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hi,
and now it's 9.45c ... for Windows and Mac now available.

» by

Post by » by »

Thank you. I now get the error "Could not contact the update server" depending on my network configuration, and I think this is the first time I'm actually glad to see an error. :)

Please understand I'm not asking for help with this; I have a workaround.

Thanks again!

tobias

Post by tobias »

Thanks. One problem could be that Syncovery doesn't use any Proxy settings for the update check ...