SFTP SBB: 96273 error

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
Johan

SFTP SBB: 96273 error

Post by Johan »

Hi,

I'm working with a client to try and get their Syncovery tool connecting to an sFTP server (running Cerberus 8.0).
Syncovery version is 9.44c, running on a Windows 10 machine.

To perform my own testing, I installed Syncovery on my own Windows 10 Professional machine, and I can replicate the problem in exquisite detail!

Configuring a recipe using TGPuttyLib, everything works perfectly. SFTP connects using the private key, it negotiates the algorithms and connection succeeds.
Changing only the implementation, from TGPutty to SecureBlackBox, the entire connection seems to go bang. Immediately, it fails on connection attempts, with the first line in the logs being:
"Left Side: Error loading private key foo: Invalid private key"
even though the key itself has not changed. The error also appears before the message:
"***** Left Side: : SFTP CONNECTION STARTS *****".

The private key was generated in PuttyGen using RSA, 2048 bits.
I can set Syncovery to use aes256-ctr for the encryption algorithm, ecdh_nist_p256 for the key exchange, hmac-sha2-256 for the hashing and I can confirm that both servers are happy with the choices. Setting the public key to RSA, or leaving them all in, seems to have no effect.

The log finishes with
"ETGFTPError Authentication failed, log on refused. (Connection lost due to error 96273) @ 000000000164E061, CP:SBBCoEx: Connection lost due to error 96273"

What makes TGPuttyLib work, and SBB fail, and is there any way I can make SBB work?

Many thanks,
Johan

tobias

Re: SFTP SBB: 96273 error

Post by tobias »

Hello,
SBB does not support the latest PuTTY private keys, and also does not have the same set of algorithms as PuTTY. It's also slower when transferring large files.

Maybe if you convert the private key to OpenSSH format, but even then, it might be using an unsupported algorithm.

Why would you want to use SBB?

SBB will be updated in Syncovery 10 sometime this year, maybe it will work then.

Johan

Re: SFTP SBB: 96273 error

Post by Johan »

Hi,

The particular client "has always used SBB", so it's a legacy decision.

I'll push to change to TGPuttyLib since that seems to be the better option!
Alternatively, I'll try the private keys in OpenSSH format.

Thank you for your help! I would have struggled away many hours otherwise!
Johan