Real time sync triggering for folders not selected

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
linguy11

Real time sync triggering for folders not selected

Post by linguy11 »

Running into an issue with real-time sync and folder selection...

I've setup a real-time sync. I've selected my user folder in Windows as the base folder but then have specified that I only want to backup the desktop and documents folders. However the profile wants to constantly trigger to run thinking there are changes that have happened. It runs and always finds nothing to do, then wants to run again, over and over. When looking at the log it's there checking and seeing changes in the AppData folder. Not sure why it's looking at changes outside of the specific folders I have set? Is there a way to define where it's checking for real-time changes?

I've also tried changing the "Operating Mode" to "Process Each File Event Individually" not sure if it's related. I find it hard to tell what some of these options do. I tried searching for info on the forum and in the help for "operating mode" but didn't see anything. With so many options in the program, a tooltip over each option explaining what it's supposed to do would be super useful.

I've also noticed an issue where for some reason it likes to add the next real-time job run at a time that has already passed. Like it'll be 9:30:26pm but the real-time job will pop up saying it's next run is at 9:29:06pm or something. Like a minute or so in the past. It will run and immediately want to fire again at a time in the past. I have tried setting real-time to wait 30 seconds - 5 minutes but that doesn't seem to matter as it will still want to launch when it wants to launch at a minute of several seconds in the past. The windows clock is accurate and is synced with the windows time server.

Thanks

tobias

Re: Real time sync triggering for folders not selected

Post by tobias »

Hello,
real-time jobs must subscribe to file system events. If you choose your user home folder as base folder, then it will receive file system events recursively for all subfolders. In this case, that's not ideal.

Could you create two separate profiles where the base folder is the folder that you really want to copy, i.e. the Documents folder, and the Desktop folder for the second one? You will also need to adjust the destination path to match. So both sides must point to the same folder.

I recommend using the mode "Process Complete Folders". Yes I still need to document these modes. The Complete Folders mode will scan and compare folders where events have been received, which is more robust than trying to process each individual file event.

linguy11

Post by linguy11 »

I see, thanks for explaining that. I've broken things out into separate jobs and that seems to solve the issue.

Not quite as clean as just having the one job that only scans the selected folders for changes but it works.

Also I'm still not sure what caused the issue with the scheduler wanting to set things for a time in the past. I'm wondering if it had something to do with importing a profile from another computer or if it was related to the other issue. By just re-creating the profile manually it seems to have solved that issue.

Thanks

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
I don't know about the dates, but if it happens again, you can activate detailed logging regarding the scheduler logic and I can analyze that.