Specific Files Only to Include in SmartTracking

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
PicoStallone

Specific Files Only to Include in SmartTracking

Post by PicoStallone »

I'm looking for a suggestion on the easiest way to SmartTrack only specified files (listed in Inclusion Masks) and avoid any and all other files/folders without having to specify them in the Exclusion Masks. Does anyone have a suggestion for accomplishing this so that I can avoid, if possible, listing all files/folders to exlude?

tobias

Re: Specific Files Only to Include in SmartTracking

Post by tobias »

Hello,
yes, you can list files in Inclusion Masks like this:

file1.txt
file2.xlsx

You do not need any Exclusions.

It does not matter in which subfolder one of these files is. Syncovery will find them.

If you have subfolders, you probably want to remove the checkmark "Create Empty Folders" on the Folders tab sheet, because many folders will be considered empty if they contain no files with these names.

PicoStallone

Post by PicoStallone »

Thanks Tobias for the quick reply,

I was under the impression that only the files/folders specified in Inclusion Masks would be synched, OR, all files/folders EXCEPT those listed in Exclusion Masks would be synched. With the following settings, the 5 files listed in Inclusion Masks plus all the folders/files located in the directory where the files reside are being synched over. The following images show my settings and the results. In the end, my goal is to only synch the 5 highlighted files shown on the right side of the image to the left side of the image. Instead, you can see that both the 5 files and all folders are being synched. Any ideas why this might be happening?
Attachments
Doc1_Page_1.jpg
Doc1_Page_1.jpg (183.8 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
Doc1_Page_2.jpg
Doc1_Page_2.jpg (252.2 KiB) Viewed 3136 times

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
in this case you should set the option "Include Subfolders" to "None" in the profile (next to the copying directions).

Because Syncovery currently looks for these file names in all subfolders.

And it is apparently still set to create empty folders.

As I wrote intially:
If you have subfolders, you probably want to remove the checkmark "Create Empty Folders" on the Folders tab sheet, because many folders will be considered empty if they contain no files with these names.

PicoStallone

Post by PicoStallone »

Tobias,

Thanks for the follow-up. After rereading what you previously suggested and digging more into the Help manual, I realized I wasn't understanding properly some of the nuances of the various Sync features. Unfortunately, I've been bringing an expectation of where to find various switches/features to my use of Syncovery, rather then understanding and investigating the layout and flow of the software.