Compressed Packages and handling lots of small files

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
rostala

Compressed Packages and handling lots of small files

Post by rostala »

Is it possible to use the Compressed Package feature on a directory of several thousand small files, update that package incrementally upon each profile run to capture changes to the file set, and also do a block-level backup of the final compressed package? Or would I be better off using a 3rd-party archive/compression tool (e.g. 7-Zip) to make and update the package, and then have Syncovery do a block-level backup of that?

I suppose it depends in part on whether one can utilize the Archive flag in this case?

Note: The destination is a 3rd-party cloud provider, so Remote Service handling is not an option.

tobias

Re: Compressed Packages and handling lots of small files

Post by tobias »

Hello,
Syncovery can't update compressed packages. It can only create new ones. It can't even look into existing ones.

Maybe I will add this in a future version.

In terms of block-level, most clouds don't support that, and Syncovery doesn't do it with any cloud APIs - only with the SFTP protocol.

It might be better to just let Syncovery create a new compressed package every day, with that day's files. The archive flags can be used to determine which files are new or changed.

rostala

Post by rostala »

tobias wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:55 pm
In terms of block-level, most clouds don't support that, and Syncovery doesn't do it with any cloud APIs - only with the SFTP protocol.
I have a profile that does a block-level backup of an Outlook PST to Google Drive. Is that one of the rare exceptions? Or is it unreliable, and I should back it up via some other method?

Also, can you comment on whether Mega or Backblaze B2 supports Syncovery block-level copying, because I'm considering a switch.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
block-level copying to these clouds is only possible in the form of Synthetic Backup, where each day's changed blocks are uploaded in separate zip or Sz files.

If you're not seeing that, then Syncovery uploads the whole file every day. It's not possible to replace individual blocks in an existing file on Google Drive. There's no difference in this area with Mega or B2 either.

See also
https://www.syncovery.com/synthetic-backup/