Copying files to OneDrive for Business doubles the folder size

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
Redwood

Copying files to OneDrive for Business doubles the folder size

Post by Redwood »

Copying files to OneDrive for Business creates two versions of each file. As a result copied folder takes two times more space on my account.
How to avoid this?
Note: I mean a fresh upload.

Update:
It appears a solution is found here https://github.com/rclone/rclone/issues/1716 and more here https://github.com/rclone/rclone/issues/4106
Could you implement it in Syncovery?

Update 2: As temporal solution I will try "rclone cleanup" command.
Last edited by Redwood on Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tobias

Re: Copying files to OneDrive for Business doubles the folder size

Post by tobias »

Hello,
yes it's the same problem mentioned on the rclone pages. Setting the modification time creates a new version that takes space. It's a very odd behavior of the API. I will try to find a workaround soon. Those links will surely help.

Thanks!

Redwood

Post by Redwood »

"rclone cleanup" works! But it is bad solution because each time it checks each file in a folder and subfolders. Sometimes it encounters "too many requests" problem.

I would suggest an option something like "Do not write modification time" as fast temporal solution.

tobias

Post by tobias »

> "Do not write modification time"

Yes we have that, of course. Under "Files"->"More":

X Copied Files Receive Current System Time as Modification Timestamp

But I am working on the versioning fix now and can probably release an update about it tomorrow.

Redwood

Post by Redwood »

Great news!

To anybody who will be using "rclone cleanup" – You should use "--tpslimit <float>" option to prevent "too many requests" problem. It limits HTTP transactions per second to specified number.
And have in mind that it remove all version excepting last one (It's not good for me)!

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
the new version 9.37a will now prevent two versions from being created on Sharepoint when a file is uploaded with timestamp.

Sharepoint will still create two versions, but Syncovery then deletes the first one. So all uploaded files will appear with a version numbered "2.0".