How to check/restore files from specific date?

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
mowerey

How to check/restore files from specific date?

Post by mowerey »

I have an odd question. So I have versioning and deletes turned off. I was cleaning up a directory and realized I started to delete the wrong folder. So most of the files are correct and I just need to restore files from say 3 days ago. Is there anyway to do that? Right now if I select the directory I see a bunch of old files and folders from before that I know I deleted and wanted to. I did try the timestamp option but the files all were created with random dates in the past so that didn't help. I just need to compare what was there a few days ago with what is there today. Not sure if that's possible. I'm on version 8.16e and backing up to google drive.

tobias

Re: How to check/restore files from specific date?

Post by tobias »

Hello,
using the "Target Date for Restore" option, you can exclude newer files and let Syncovery choose older versions of files, according to the target date.

But up to version 9.36, Syncovery cannot remember when a file was deleted. That will come around 9.37 very soon.

So you need to manually remove the files and folders you don't want from the Sync Preview and then click Start.

mowerey

Post by mowerey »

Thanks Tobias,

So if that feature gets added we would then be able to filter for files deleted/changed on specific days or time frame?

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
yes, that will be possible.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
we now have the new Syncovery 9.39 on our download page, which can remember when a file was deleted. The restore can then copy only the specific files which existed at a selected target date in the past.

New profiles will have the setting "Remember deletion time and date" chosen automatically, for existing ones you need to choose it under Files->Deletions in the profile.

Note that this works only if you have specified a "folder for deleted files", or at least an "older" folder for versioning. You also need to use Exact Mirror mode so that deletions are actually processed.

The "folder for deleted files" is specified via the checkmark "Move Deleted Files Into A Specified Folder", also in the profile under Files->Deletions.

Restoring deleted items

To restore deleted files, the restore profile needs the checkmark "Restore deleted items" chosen under Masks & Filters -> General Filters.

The Target Date For Restore can be specified under Masks & Filters -> General Filters.

These two settings are also available in the Restore Wizard.