Inability to identify the correct drive

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
Roham

Inability to identify the correct drive

Post by Roham »

Hi
I created a profile to mirrored a flash drive that is labeled as "New Volume" to a folder.
But when I connect another flash drive with the same label to the system, the software scans the wrong device!
Cannot find the right device and back up the wrong device!
Please fix this bug.
Attachments
#2.png
#2.png (6.87 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
#1.png
#1.png (40.43 KiB) Viewed 2289 times

tobias

Re: Inability to identify the correct drive

Post by tobias »

Hello,
please do not use the "Device" button for flash drives.

Instead, identify them by drive letter, such as F:\ and use the normal Browse button to choose a folder.

Again, do not use the Device button.

To make Syncovery find the correct drive letter automatically, you can also identify them via volume label. Make sure each drive has a unique volume label. Then type paths like this:

VolLabel:\Folder

Roham

Post by Roham »

I use "Device" button for a external hard derive that is same label as a system hard partition. But Syncovery can't find the correct one!
If i use drive letter for identify it, some time it changed depended on connected device to system.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Again, do not use the Device button.

To make Syncovery find the correct drive letter automatically, you can also identify them via volume label. Make sure each drive has a unique volume label. Then type paths like this:

VolLabel:\Folder

tobias

Post by tobias »

Just make sure you give each drive a unique volume label please. You should not leave them named as "New Volume".

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello,
I actually see what you mean now. Syncovery has to find the drive letter for MTP drives, because accessing them by drive letter is much faster than using the MTP protocol. But it looks only for the volume label. I'm not sure if this can be changed.

Again, make sure your drives have different volume labels, unless you want Syncovery to consider them to be the same drive.

tobias

Post by tobias »

Hello again,
I have thought about it some more and I will change something.

If there are duplicate volume labels, Syncovery will just continue using the MTP protocol with the drive, even if it is much slower. It will also issue a warning telling the user about this problem.

Again if you have unique volume labels, it will be much better. Syncovery will be able to identify the drive and access it with high performance via the drive letter. But it needs the volume label to find the drive letter, because the MTP API does not reveal drive letters.

tobias

Post by tobias »

The new version 9.35d now warns if a removeable drive is chosen via the Device button and the volume label is not unique. Syncovery needs the volume label to identify the drive.