sync db maintenance compression?

English Support for Syncovery on Windows.
james_c_stein@fd.org

sync db maintenance compression?

Post by james_c_stein@fd.org »

Is there any sort of utility to run to compress or do any maintenance on the syncdbs or is that something that gets done automatically. I have a few rather large file sets that sync. I've got 3 syncdbs that are over 2.2GB. At least one of them seems to take a long time to run through the database check. This last time was an hour after it was finished copying the few files it needed to sync. I'm wondering if I need to rebuild the database or repair it or something. The other 2 while large don't seem to take quite as long to check the DB after copying.

tobias

Re: sync db maintenance compression?

Post by tobias »

Hello,
first - the lengthy database check can be skipped by going to the tab sheet "Special" -> "Database" in the profile and choosing "Fast Mode".

The only reason databases could become so large is if they contain MD5 checksums for Block Level Copying, could that be the case?

Do you think they might contain a lot of data for old files that no longer exist?

Normally you could just delete the database and Syncovery will re-build it - but only if you don't use Block Level Copying, and you don't use "Cache Destination File List" or you can afford the time for Syncovery to do a complete scan of destination folders.

Theoretically you can also run Firebird backup and restore tools to have the database structure be freshly created without deleting anything. This might reduce the file size a little but won't make the database check during the profile runs any faster.

james_c_stein@fd.org

Re: sync db maintenance compression?

Post by james_c_stein@fd.org »

It was block level copying. Not even sure why that was turned on, I must have been experimenting with it and never turned it back off. It isn't needed. So I turned it off and deleted the database and let it be rebuilt.

Thanks for the quick response.